Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 357 Trooper MK III at a gun show. I am very impressed with the fit/finish of the gun. Seems a lot nicer than most of the new stuff. Any help with care and feeding would be greatly appreciated. Also would like to know date of mfg. SN is L90942. Thanks.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Congratulations on the new gun, and welcome!

Looks like date is 1978. I know of nothing out of the ordinary as far as care and feeding. Kind of depends what the use of the gun is going to be for. One thing I do with my .357 magnums (Colt and S&W) when I'm just putting holes in paper is use .38 Special ammo. Personally, I think it is easier on the gun and also, on me. The hotter powerful loads are just that!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,913 Posts
The Trooper Mark III is an especially strong design. The only possible weakness is in the firing pin.

SOME (a very few) firing pins are too hard and may break if the gun is dry fired extensively.

If a pin does break the gun MUST be returned to Colt for replacement, since the job requires special factory-only tooling and support fixtures. Attempting to replace a pin without the correct tooling can damage or ruin the frame.

To prevent any possible problems, buy some snap caps.

Other than that, shoot it and enjoy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the info, this site is great. I am going to the range today to try her out. Hope she shoots as good as she looks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts