Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone and wow what a great Colt Forum. I have a Colt Officers Model Special #788***, which according to the Colt website, was made in 1952. Looking at photos on web auctions etc it looks like the 4th Edition in 38 Special.
I would be grateful if a Colt expert could answer some questions.
My gun has the hammer of the 5th Edition [like a Colt Python] . Were there some variants?
Also, what type of ammunition was the gun originally regulated for eg 148 gr wadcutters, 158 gr round nose?
Finally, its a big very heavy gun. Although the blue is about 75% the action locks up tight with no cylinder slop or play. The bore and cylinder chambers look like new. Is it safe to shoot modern 38 SP Plus P rounds in this ?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hi and welcome to the Colt Forum and for making your first post ! Sorry not to be able to answer your questions, as my main interest is in pre 1900 Colt’s, but certain other members will be able to give excellent advice !
Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi everyone and thank you for the warm welcomes. I will post in the sub forum and I will include more pictures.

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
Welcome to the COLT Forum !!

Enjoy Our Community...

History...

COLT OFFICER'S MODEL

In 1904 Colt introduced it's first medium frame double action target model revolver as the Colt Officer's Model. From then to 1969 Colt would produce versions of this under several names.

The Officer's Model was always Colt's premium revolver until the introduction of the super-premium Python in 1955. In the days when the revolver was King of the Matches, the Officer's models were always the favorite of the champions and Colt's held all the records.

The Officer's Model 1st Issue
The first version was the Office's Model and was based on the Colt New Army & Navy revolvers. It was introduced in 1904 and produced until 1908...and was made in .38 Colt Long, and .38 Special. It had a flat top frame with adjustable target front and rear sights, and a 6" barrel. Grips were fancy checkered walnut with no Colt medallion.

The Officers Model 2nd Issue
The Second Issue had the new and improved action as used on the Army Special of 1908. The second version was made from 1908 to 1926. Calibers were .32 Colt, and .38 Special. It offered more variations in barrel length with 4", 4 1/2", 5", 6", and 7 1/2". Grips were checkered walnut with deep set silver Colt medallions standard from 1913 to 1923.

The Officer's Model Target 3rd Issue
The Officer's Model Target was introduced in 1927 and made until 1949. Calibers were .22LR, .32 Colt, and .38 Special, with the .32 Colt only available pre war. In 1935 a heavy barrel was made available as an option. Post-war only the 6" barrel was offered. Grips were checkered walnut with silver medallions.

* The Officer's Model Special 4th Issue *
The Officer's Model Special was Colt's first upgrade post war and Colt began assigning letter codes to frame sizes. The medium frame as used on the Official Police and Officer's Models was the Colt "E" frame. The Officer's Model Special was made only from 1949 to 1952.

It had an extra heavy non tapered "bull" barrel and the Colt Master fully adjustable rear sight that was offered only on this revolver. A new style hammer was introduced, and the post war type cylinder retention system was used. Checkering of the hammer, trigger, and cylinder latch was discontinued. Calibers were .22LR and .38 Special and the barrel was 6". Grips were reddish brown "Coltwood" Service type plastic and the finish was blue.

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
And as far as your question... " Is it safe to shoot modern 38 SP Plus P rounds in this ? "

Yea...you probably could...but why would you ?

Stick with the .38 Special WC & LRN and just enjoy it as a easy shootin' vintage paper puncher.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts