Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took this nickel 357 SAA NF in trade for some WW2 firearms. I know a lot about WW2 firearms but near nothing about SAAs. I sent for the letter back in May so I should hear from that soon. The Colt DOB data base says 1961. The fella I got this from said the stocks are real and expensive? They look authentic to me. I joined the forum to benefit from your collective knowledge. Please take me to school on this...curious about true value, rarity (I assume pretty common), all S/Ns match- 4293NF I know it is a Gen 2....
Air gun Trigger Revolver Line Gun barrel
Glasses Sleeve Dress Bag Eyewear

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
That is a 2nd Gen Colt New Frontier that was made in 1963 if I am reading your S/N correctly. The nickel finish is probably original (although I go back and forth on that determination when looking at your pictures). The stocks are real sambar stag and are worth money unto themselves. I doubt the stocks are custom from Colt due to the hardware store type screw.

A nice gun whose current configuration can only be verified by a Colt factory archives letter. Did you request the date of manufacture in the letter? That info is only included if you ask for it and it would be worth a call to request the info if you haven't received the letter yet.

Colt's database is junk. Use proofhouse.com instead for dating.

As far as rarity, I have been looking at New Frontiers for many years and this is the first short barrel, nickel .357 2nd Gen gun I remember seeing (in fact it is the only short barrel 2nd gen nickel NF of any caliber that I remember seeing). If the finish is factory original then I think it is a scare gun for sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I go back and forth on that determination when looking at your pictures
Thank You for sharing your knowledge with me...I goofed- you are right 1963 DOB....here are more/better photographs to help with the nickel finish...your thoughts?
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Everything looks good to me other than the trigger guard. In some of the pictures it looks like it has soft edges, or maybe even nickel over pits.

That said I don’t have the gun in my hand and pictures can be tricky. I bet it letters as nickel finish from the factory.

Thanks for posting these. Let us know what the letter says!

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
That is a beautiful Gun you have. The finish looks original to me, I’d guess the nice grips are after-market. I love the configuration. I had Colt make me that exact gun about 5 years ago, with ivory. Great shooter and a great looker. Enjoy yours and we look forward to hearing what the letter says. I’m guessing you have a fairly scarce Colt there.
Musical instrument String instrument Guitar Wood String instrument
Wood Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Everyday carry
Musical instrument String instrument Guitar Wood String instrument

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Hope I’m wrong but looks like its had a bit of buffing and some nickel in small pits.

·
Registered
1944 USGI M1911A1, 1967 Python 4" Nickel, 1968 Agent Blue
83 Posts
We're all commenting on what a beautiful gun it is. (Which, of course, it is.) But, what about that awesome Colt logo on the wood behind it? That is a very nice way to display a beautiful gun. Congratulations on your new to you NF.

·
Registered
9,505 Posts
That is a beautiful Gun you have. The finish looks original to me, I’d guess the nice grips are after-market. I love the configuration. I had Colt make me that exact gun about 5 years ago, with ivory. Great shooter and a great looker. Enjoy yours and we look forward to hearing what the letter says. I’m guessing you have a fairly scarce Colt there.
View attachment 751082 View attachment 751083 View attachment 751082
I really like those mellowed out medallions. did you supply them for the grips? they look old.
About the 1963 gun in question. People ask $300 or more for sambar stag grips now and those are especially nice. In the 3rd photo there is what appears to be rounded edges where the frame and trigger guard meets the grips. But I think that might be a shadow from the grips if they are are slightly higher there. Great gun.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
We're all commenting on what a beautiful gun it is. (Which, of course, it is.) But, what about that awesome Colt logo on the wood behind it? That is a very nice way to display a beautiful gun. Congratulations on your new to you NF.
Yeah, I like the sign as well!! I need to find something similar.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts