Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I picked up a new LE6940 today and I am very impressed with the quality. But I noticed that the trigger feels very gritty and it seems to be the 'sear' that has a rough finish. I thought I might polish it lightly to improve the trigger feel.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,890 Posts
A number of recent owners of the Colt say that after some use the trigger smooths out and gets much better.
Polishing the trigger or hammer is a risky enterprise unless you know exactly what you're doing and have some equipment to do it.
Too many people attempt it and have problems with "doubling", failure to cock, and unsafe trigger pull.
It's hard to get a really good trigger pull with the stock unit, and so today, the best option is a replacement unit.

There is "The 15 Minute Trigger Job" that a number of people have had luck with:

15 Minute Practical Trigger Job for the AR-15

Some people report better results with putting one "leg" of the hammer spring under the trigger pin instead of cutting it off. This also eliminates a permanent alteration to the spring so you can put it back up on the pin if you have light hammer strikes.

Another trick to improve the trigger is to grease it. This reduces friction and grease won't run off or dry out.

Still another possible method to improve the trigger is to remove the unit and thoroughly degrease the hammer notch and trigger sear face.
Reinstall, and operate the trigger 50 times or so. This will burnish the surfaces. Make sure you catch the hammer. DO NOT allow the hammer to fall and strike the lower receiver.
This is basically what just shooting the rifle will do, and as above, many owners say use smooths things up.
After burnishing clean the unit off then grease it.

However, the best option for a better trigger is to install one of the replacement trigger units. Brownell's sell most of them.
If you have an M4 Carbine, I personally wouldn't install an adjustable unit since those are more complicated and adjustments have a bad habit of changing and causing serious trouble.
Personally I installed the Rock River Arms double stage trigger and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the detailed info, dfariswheel! I may have used the wrong terminalogy, correct term may be hammer release. I will try some super fine we/dry paper or a rubber polishing wheel on a dremel. I can feel the coarse finish on this part. I am sure it would 'wear in' with use but it would be nice to smooth it over before I go out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.