Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I’m new to this forum this is my first post.
I’ve been looking at this website for a few days now and I find The posts very helpful. I have a Colt question. This past Saturday I purchased a 6 inch blue Colt Python from the Kankakee, Illinois gun Show for $800.00 the ser# is V269XX. It has black rubber pachmeyer Presentation grips and black front and rear sights. Anyone have a ballpark on when it was made. And when did Colt start or stop Using front red ramp/ white outline rear sights. Also the weapon is absolutely immaculate. So,was $ 800.00 a fair price without a box and manual. Also I have a " new guy" question.
What is a BOA.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The Boa is one of the most saught after DA-revolvers Colt has ever made.

They were ordered by Horton Distribution in 1985 (?) as a limited run.
The experts number the run at no more then 1200 divided in 600 guns with a 4" barrel and 600 guns with a 6" barrel. As an extra niche to Colt collectors 100 4 inchers and another 100 6 inchers were sold as consecutive sets.

The Boa is a .357 Magnum revolver with a Trooper MK V frame fitted with a Python barrel in Royal Blue finish.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Welcome to the Forum mcallen13913!

Glad you joined!

Sounds like a great Python to me. I've seen some $750-$800 Pythons at recent Dallas/Fort Worth gun shows but they were far from absolutely immaculate so you likely did well.

I'm remembering the Boa as a gussied up Trooper with a vent rib, chambered in .357 Magnum. It was a limited production revolver (very limited as I recall) from around 1984. You'll likely get a better answer to your Boa question a bit later.

I'm a Smith & Wesson collector who accidentally amassed a group of Colt handguns. It's not to bad to be dually afflicted as long as I take my medicine (a perpetually thin wallet).

The Colt forum is full of good Colt information that you can "take to the bank" with some real experts chiming in regularly. It won't be good for your pocket book to hang out here but it will be gratifying.

Edited: I'm sleepy after lunch as I see a great reply from Gunsmoke already addressing your question. He's an astute Colt man from across the pond. I think he must be a closet American as his mastery of English is better than mine. My whole exposure to Dutch was a trans Atlantic trip on KLM once. I fancied I could learn it by the time I arrived.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
V269XX was made in 1978.

The "V" series began that year.
The numbers started at V01001, and ended at V36737 by the end of the year.

Colt first started using the red ramp front sight and white outline rear sometime in the early 1980's.
These were standard right up to the end of production in 2003.

These days, $800 for a good Python is a fair price.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hello, great find and welcome to the forum!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts