Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ran across another colt for sale it is the New navy(army) in .38 with 6 in barrel, has about 30% blue finish ser no 1231xx, has later wood grips(to long), checked the timing and did not seem right. It has 2 bolts, should they both lock the cylinder when the hammer is cocked? on this one the most farward on the right does not lock the cylinder untill the trigger is pulled is this correct?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Kennedy; These are "left wheelers"(cylinder rotates to the left) and have 2 locking bolts,BUT the one closer to the barrel,locks the cylinder while hammer is at rest. The rear bolt & the HAND hold it tight when hammer is cocked & trigger is pulled. I have 2 of these guns currently,a rare officers model in .38 Special & a transition in 32/20. This model has not been popular with collectors,as it is VERY FRAIL,and difficult to work on/find GOOD parts for.Many of the early .38s have a larger bore.to fire the older hollow base .38 Long Colt round,and not to accurate with modern ammo/reloads,and their cylinders are usually bored straight thru(no step),so some "mental midgets" loaded them with .38 speeds & even .357s!! The true U.S. Issue Models are rightfully worth good $. The 2 that I had before my current 2 were well worn & not good shooters;the current 2 are excellent(&look great)BUT they only are fed mild handloads. Sorry for the long post,but these are"tricky" guns,and while better than the earlier Lightnings,are NOT Colts best product, Of interest, is that BOTH the smaller frame(police positive etc.) & larger frame(New Service;NOW THERE IS A GUN!!!!)went to the "modern"wishbone" mainspring & right wheeler, a few years before the New Army/Navy did! Go figure? All this said, Id love to find a NewArmy/Navy with 3"bbl. in .41 Colt for a "vintage backup gun". Bud

1 - 2 of 2 Posts