Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a new, near-mint, 3rd Gen. Detective Special I just brought home from the gun library at my local Cabelas. I did a detailed inspection of the gun at the store--everything was just about perfect--but unfortunately was not able to check the DA action timing while there (Cabelas 'rules', no snap caps, huh?). 30-day return policy, so I bought it.

I'm home, I put in some snap caps and start pulling the trigger, and out of about 40 rounds fired in DA the trigger locked up twice at about half hammer back. I didn't want to force it, so I returned the trigger to its starting position before pulling it again (it would succesfully cycle on the second pull), but the gun is most definitely jamming.

I don't have the slightest idea what to make of this. I'd hate to return such a nice specimen, but I'm wondering how much this gun is going to have ended up costing me once I get it inspected and repaired. Any ideas what this could be, you Colt geniuses?

Here's a video I made of it happening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7on31oQcoRU

Thanks so much, guys.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It is possible that any one of several things could be a little off, but first I would have to ask how rapidly and aggressively you are "firing" it in DA. Forcefully jerking the trigger, especially rapidly, can certainly exacerbate and even cause or be a problem. :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I was both rapidly and forcefully firing 2 out of 3 times when this occured. Upon inspection I actually have a lurking suspicion I may not have been allowing the trigger to fully reset.

However, the times I was rapidly firing were different than the time I was not in that one time out of three the hammer was half back when it froze up, as opposed to the two times when the hammer wouldn't raise at all.

You know, when it comes to revolvers I've always been a Smith & Wesson guy. The design of this gun has been calling my name, though, and this is my first Colt. I've heard the actions of the two manufacturers aren't even in the same category as far as design and function.

Maybe I'm entering a learning curve?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,376 Posts
Note that snap caps are ONLY snap caps.
They aren't the true size and shape of real cartridges or action proving dummies.
It's possible the snap caps are hanging up on the breech face or the lower front edge of the cylinder release.

If the lower front edge of the cylinder release is a little long, or the cylinder release is a little too loose, the case head can catch on the release.

The true test is with live ammo, and making sure the trigger is allowed to reset.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to take a closer look at this tomorrow. I'm putting two and two together, though, and getting a better idea of the conditions under which this is happening.

The first time this happened I was getting to know the action by slowly cocking the hammer and then resetting it, and by slowly pulling the trigger and then resetting it. I was working the hammer and the trigger, I think, when it first locked up.

I noticed just a bit ago while slowly pulling the trigger (and I mean slowly)--I was trying to get an idea of the subtleties of the trigger pull--that when pulling the trigger slowly the gun locks up hammer half back. The action staggers a bit and it locks up. Almost every time.

This is really disconcerting, but I'm sure either I or somebody more qualified than I will figure it out and correct it. In the meantime, I'll be waiting for my new Badger rosewood boot grip to arrive.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
I notice that in your video, at least, it seems to malfunction when you have the gun somewhat inverted. Snap caps (and even normal cartridges) will drop out of the cylinder quite easily. Do two things. See if you can note any binding of the cartridges especially on the latch as mentioned by dfariswheel and try it without snap caps if you haven't. Dry firing will not harm it. :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tried dry firing in the same position without snap caps--the gun does not lock up at all when the cylinder is empty. When loaded with snap caps I can't necessarily detect any binding of the cartridges with the frame (although there is no room between the cartidges and the frame whatsoever), but that very well may be the problem as the locking up doesn't occur when the gun is unloaded.

In other news, I stopped by my trusted local gun store today, and was told I got a good deal o the revolver. I also swung by the gunsmith's shop asking for (1) an inspection; 2) an appraisal; and 3) repair of problem if there actually in a problem. He told me to take the gun to the range and shoot it 200-300 times and then come back. When I told him I planned to carry the gun he was shocked, kind of appalled actually. He said it was a candidate for a collection.

I'm pretty happy.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
It looks like from your video that the bolt is dropping WAY too early. I cant be positive because it's not a close up enough view, but it LOOKS that way. Look closely at the bolt and WHEN it drops on the cylinder. Does it drop right near the middle of the groove before each cylinder notch, or does it drop real early i.e. Before it gets into the groove or right at the beginning of the groove? I'm guessing it's dropping off the rebound lever too early and it's also getting jammed every so often when it trys to ride back up the rebound lever to reset itself.

Good video and great looking DS.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very interesting point, capstan. It's dropping at the very beginning of each groove. This will be something to look into if the problem pops up in the future.

I'm sure the gunsmith will also spot any problems with this when he inspects the gun in a few days.

Thanks again, guys!

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
DetSpec, I hope the gunsmith is experienced with Colts with the Vspring/rebound lever action . I would ask him first if He has worked on this type of action,before you let him monkey around with it. You could also get a copy of the Kuhnhausen Manual,Volume 1. It is THE manual for this action. Good luck. Let us know how it shoots.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Congrats

Member "ednred" can work miracles on a D frame Colt.

He also sold me my first D frame, and the rest, as they say, is history. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Badger cut these down even smaller than his standard boot grips. He'll make just about anything you want.
One word--WOW. I have the silver medallions in my stock, rubber grip, and it crossed my mind to get them put in the boot grip I ordered from Badger. It didn't seem realistic, though, to try to get the silver to jive with the rosewood. So...

But wow, seriously. It's amazing to me that for, what, $80, a person will literally make you something like this by hand. I think the standard Badger boot grip is a good place for me to start with this mine, though. I really like the grip to frame ratio of the D-Frame Rosewood Boot. The proportionality is very aesthetically pleasing.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
And you'll appreciate the extra surface area when shooting +P ammo. ;)

I had him make these because I carried in a SmartCarry holster, and it helped reduce printing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts