Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was nosing around the 1911 forum and ran across this thread. Mark1648 made this comment on 5-21-03:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
The General would like to come out with a 1917 New Service after the WW1. That would require some serios re-tooling, we will see.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty thin I admit, but OTOH it's not a flat refusal to consider the idea. For those that don't know Mark works for Colt and at the time was in charge of the handgun side of the operation, I believe. He now is traveling around trying to get Colt back in stores, primarily in the NE it seems by his posts over there at 1911 forum. He's got the same name here but only posted once or twice a few weeks back that I've seen.

Anyway back to the topic. I think it would be a good idea to let Colt know what we think of that idea, good or bad. What do y'all think?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
To build it with the same action would drive the price in the upper atmosphere. Most shooters secretly wants a Python, but the price turns them away. The Anaconda does a pretty fine representation of big framed Colts, but it's price is also frowned upon by many. Now S&W (IMO) does have a good trigger (SA is excellent, but the DA needs a lil TLC to really bring it to life), but their biggest selling point is their price over Colts. Just ask any dyed in the wool Smith fan and after they finsh naming the virtues of a Smith they all finish with "and you can buy 2 Smith's for the price of a Colt".
I for one do wish Colt would get back into the game full time. I hope they stay away from all the new light weight alloys and build solid revolvers in yur choice of finishes. In fact they could probably make a good market on just blued steel guns. The "great gun gods" you see sitting in all the magazine racks have all preached nothing but SS and the factories have blindly followed (and yes I know it's cheaper), but alot of us out here still want our choices.

Sorry to get off-topic, but I think the Anaconda is the new New Service with a face lift. She may have lost some of her grace, but picked up some stamina.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It would be wonderful to see the New Service resurrected. Could the advantages of CNC allow for it to be done at reasonable cost or could the inner workings be modified to reduce manufacturing costs? There is no doubt in my mind that the classic lines of the New Service would make it a real winner. I would sure line up to purchase one. I could then retire the one I have to the safe.
Kudos to Colt if they do return the New Service to the market.

·
Registered
535 Posts
A New Service?! They're HUGE, and HEAVY and have fixed sights. The grip is about the worst of any 2X revolver anyone ever made and they won't take any of the Python or Trooper or Trooper Mk III grips nor does Pachmayr nor Hogue make rubber ones for it. Tne 2X action is so SLOW! The single action is OK, but the hammer is the old skinny kind that likes to slip away from your thumb. WHERE CAN I GET ONE! I want one in .45 Colt with a 5 1/2" barrel and NICKELED! (And the old, rubberish logo grips, too!)

·
Registered
162 Posts

I'd love a new new service. It would go well with my OLD new service and 1917s.

------------------

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While the Anaconda may be the current, and possibly best, version of the large frame Colt it suffers from a couple of issues from what I've seen.

First is that it is only available in stainless. Sure back in the late Eighties-Early Nineties it seemed the world was going stainless and it was a good choice. Now it seems the pendulum is swinging the other way. If the "A" were more of a carry gun it might not make such a difference but it seems to be more of a "presentation" type firearm and the finish just doesn't reflect that (Get it! Reflect haha!)IMO. In fact the brushed stainless ones that i've seen usually look like someone randomly used sandpaper on it. I decided that mine will HAVE to be polished stainless for just that reason although the polish is easily scratched. Personally what I really want is the unavailable blue.

While I have never shot one I understand that the trigger comes in for quite a bit of criticism. I expect you'll never get a Smith fan to like anything but a Smith (if it isn't the DA trigger they'll find something else) but OTOH even Colt fans find the "A's" trigger to be less than they'd like. This is pretty much unacceptable on a firearm as expensive as this one. I mean if Smith can do it on half the price...

edit BTW I doubt the NS repro would replace the Anaconda. Judging by the WWI 1911 repro it'll be close to the 1917 version if that's what they set out to do. I don't think you could really sell that to the general market now. Colt's ribbed and underlugged revolvers have been so successful that they'd own the market if they weren't so expensive. As it is competitors have taken the low end away from them

[This message has been edited by Parker Dean (edited 10-19-2003).]

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would buy a Colt New Service Model 1917 Military reproduction. That is the only one I would buy and only one. I like the idea but do not see it flying high.

I am waiting on the funds to get the M1911A1 WWII repro as it is.
Expensive!

------------------

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
rcwambold, your generalization overlooks the New Service Target and Shootimg Master with adjustable sights. I have a set of Pachmayr rubber stocks for my New Services, but they are probably no longer in the line. Yes, they are huge. The cylinder diameter exceeds the N-frame Smiths, probably because the New Service was made for the .45, while the N-frame was made for a .44.

If Smith can make the Schofield, Colt could make the New Service if it could afford the tooling. My guess would be an Italian-made gun (probably Uberti) with Colt's name on it. CNC equipment has made reintroduction of all sorts of old designs possible (Winchester is making M1886 and M1892 rifles, etc.). The reintroduction of the New Service would be no more difficult than the Black Poweder series of guns.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If Uberti does make a New Service reproduction for Colt I hope that they stick to the original Colt dimensions for all of the parts (unlike what they have done in the black powder reproductions). It would surely make repairs easier if there were factory parts available that could be fitted to all of the New Service revolvers.

Bob

·
Registered
153 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Majic:
Most shooters secretly wants a Python, but the price turns them away. Just ask any dyed in the wool Smith fan and after they finsh naming the virtues of a Smith they all finish with "and you can buy 2 Smith's for the price of a Colt".
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You hit the nail right on the head. I have many S&W revolvers and never thought of buying a Colt because of the price. However, after finally biting the bullet I now own 2 Colts and they are supurb guns. Why I didn't start buying them years ago I don't know. Guess it's because I didn't think I could justify the price.

Joed

·
Administrator
7,046 Posts
rc per the Judge
Big/Heavy/Adj sight .38
Sorry I don't have 51/2" nickel . I do have a 41/2" . No pic though . Here's a couple .

1938 Shooting Master
[img]http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=245952
1920 44-40

[This message has been edited by guy sajer (edited 10-24-2003).]

·
Registered
33 Posts
At the Shot Show in orlando I asked someone at Colt and he said there are no plans to bring back the New Service.
BTW my New Service 5.5 inch 1904 in .45 Colt is for sale in the Classified section here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts