Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Officer\'s Model Match .38SP

Got the new 1959 Officer's Model Match about a week ago. It's very nice, but I was a little disappointed. It was described as 100%, but it's really about 98%. Some minor wear around the bore and a handling mark here and there. No big deal, and because the price was good, I'm still glad I got it.

I think I am going to shoot this, but there might be an issue with the cylinder.

When you cock the pistol, release the trigger and lower the hammer slowly, the cylinder has just as much play as it does when in the uncocked position. Mind you, it is not much, but all of my Pythons lock up tight as a drum when the hammer is lowered.

This pistol was well taken care of and, although it is very clean, you can tell it has been fired.

This is a 1959 Colt revolver. Was the cylinder mechanism on the Officers Match the same as a Python whereas the cylinder should lock up extremely tight in the same manner when the hammer falls?

One other very minor issue is that the stock screw (threaded end) extends about 1/16 of an inch beyond the surface of the stock. I'm wondering if this was a replacement screw and the wrong part.

Thanks for your help.

Mark A.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
Re: New Officer\'s Model Match .38SP

The correct test is to pull the trigger and HOLD IT BACK firmly, (not too hard, just firm).

With the trigger back there should be no looseness of the cylinder.
If there is, you need a repair.

The Officer's Model has the same action as the Python.

Typically all Colt mid-frame grip screws should be "about" even with the stock bushing on the right side.
If your's is sticking out too far, it's probable that someone has been over-tightening the screw, and it's compressed the wood on the head side.

Check the inside of the left grip for bulging around the grip screw hole, or for a screw head that's seating too far in.

If the head is too far in, you can coat the screw and head with wax, put a dab of 5 minute epoxy around the bottom of the hole on the left grip and screw the screw in just until it comes even with the bushing on the right grip.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the help. Did as you said and there seems to be a tiny bit of play in the cylinder when holding the trigger back firmly. If I try to move the cylinder gently, it feels tight. But when I apply a bit more pressure there seems to be some slight movement. I'd like to have it checked out to be certain.

Is this a minor adjustment issue you would trust with a local gunsmith?

No bulging on the inside of the grips. They are in perfect condition. Not sure why the screw is extended so far, but the epoxy trick is a great suggestion. Although, it really doesn't bother me much being a lefty.

·
Registered
400 Posts

Dfariswheel,

I'm so glad you posted this. I read a previous post of yours about the correct timing for a Colt DS. I was glad to discover that mine was in perfect time. But I was worried that the hand was worn out because the cylinder moved slightly when the handgun was cocked. However after reading this post of yours I realized that I just didn't know the correct way to check it /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. Now I'm very happy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif because there's no play in the cylinder when I did the check properly.

I just wanted to say thanks. I'm sure there are lots of others who benefit from your knowledge without your ever knowing it.

Dave

·
Banned
1,129 Posts

open the cyl and cock the empty revolver,notice the hand is at rest. now watch the hand and pull the trigger{hold the hammer to prevent dry fireing}.you will notice the HAND travels past lock, this REMOVES the slight clearance required for the bolt to fit easily in the lock notch.the hand is a small part and it`s possible to overcome it with enough force.perhaps a better understanding of whats happening will help explain the test results. the bolt and it`s notch must have clearance to work reliably, the hand at the instant of fireing rotates the cyl ever so slightly to remove this clearance.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts

manderson:
I suspect from your description that your Colt is in good shape.

While the Colt does "lock up tight" when the trigger is held back, you CAN move the cylinder if you use enough force.

If you pull the trigger firmly back, try to move the cylinder and it doesn't move unless you use some force, it's good.

DO NOT trust a local gunsmith.
Very few understand Colt's these days, and typically they wind up doing more damage to the gun and STILL don't correct the original problem.

If your Colt locks up tight as per the above, AND it checks out OK on the link to how to check timing, it's almost certainly in good shape.

In this case, sending the gun in for a check would be wasted money most likely.

I'd recommend shooting the gun.
If it shoots accurately, it will have passed the last test and most important test.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts