Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I just purchased an old Police Positive in .38 (S&W) and have a couple questions I thought this group may help with. This was an old railway agent issued pistol with the serial #47344. Can anyone provide a manufacture date? It has a fair amount of pitting but the action is very tight and the bore is OK. This pistol is very dirty and I want to give it a thorough inside/out cleaning. Any suggestions on products and technique? Finally, I notice the firing pin has a tiny bit of loosenss in the hammer. Is this a contraindication to firing the gun?
Thanks for any help to this novice collector/shooter.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
47344 is a 1911 model.
The year started at 40000 and ended at 51999.

You could buy Jerry Kuhnhausen's book "The Colt Double Action Revolvers: A Shop Manual", price: less than $30.00 from Brownell's and others.

With this gunsmith's book, you could completely disassemble the revolver and give it a really good cleaning.

If you don't want to do that, you could buy a can or two of a spray degreaser and cleaner.

Spray the gun thoroughly inside and out, allow to dry, then spray it with a spray-on lubricant.

This will do a good job, and by cocking the hammer and opening the cylinder you can get most of the crud out, and fresh lube in.

The firing pin SHOULD be loose on the hammer and should move up and down, but very little if any side to side.

The verticle movement allows the firing pin to align itself with the hole in the frame.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dfariswheel! Is there a particular degreaser/cleaner you would recommend? Also, I plan to shoot this collectible occasionally. On the barrel is stamped Police Positive .38, so .38S&W is what I will use. Would you recommend a particular ammo?
Thanks for your expertise!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts