Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time bullseye shooter here, currently MA class. I'm running out of high end semi auto target pistols on my "want" list so thinking of getting into wheelguns a bit to diversify my collection a bit, both for shooting value and collecting/investment value. I don't really plan to shoot distinguished matches with it but will do some informal target work, would likely only shoot 148g full wadcutters, no full magnums. I'm used to some seriously sweet triggers so that is a concern.

So my conundrum is whether I should get a new or old model. I've always wanted a 6" royal blue python, seems like I should be able to get a 70's - 90's model in really nice shape for $2500 or so. A new 6" SS model will be approaching $1800 or so by time I have Hefron Precision fix the action, I'm also tempted to have it polished by Patriot.

I know this is a open ended question but if you had the money to buy only one which would you get.

Further, seems like the 50's-60's models are more collectible & expensive since they're a bit more hand fit and what not. Are there any years I should steer clear from if I end up buying the later periods.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
832 Posts
If shooting is your priority, not starting a collection, get a new one hands down. Shoot the tar out of it and then decide if you need to send it off. The DA pull from the factory is fantastic. If you’re looking to buy a Python to have a Python, largely to admire from the comfort of home (nothing wrong with that), you’ll be able to access people here on the forum with great advice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if I would say shooting would be a priority but would be shot for sure, maybe a few hundred HBWC a year. My custom 1911 wadcutter pistols and my 208S will always get the lion's share of the trigger time.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I say one of each, I purchased a 1974 6 inch Royal Blue Python and 2020 4.250' Python in the last 12 months. Both are greater shooters, I agree with Uplander for a main shooter new Python for sure. Mostly like my 2020 Python will see more range time than the 1974 snake.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Long time bullseye shooter here, currently MA class. I'm running out of high end semi auto target pistols on my "want" list so thinking of getting into wheelguns a bit to diversify my collection a bit, both for shooting value and collecting/investment value. I don't really plan to shoot distinguished matches with it but will do some informal target work, would likely only shoot 148g full wadcutters, no full magnums. I'm used to some seriously sweet triggers so that is a concern.

So my conundrum is whether I should get a new or old model. I've always wanted a 6" royal blue python, seems like I should be able to get a 70's - 90's model in really nice shape for $2500 or so. A new 6" SS model will be approaching $1800 or so by time I have Hefron Precision fix the action, I'm also tempted to have it polished by Patriot.

I know this is a open ended question but if you had the money to buy only one which would you get.

Further, seems like the 50's-60's models are more collectible & expensive since they're a bit more hand fit and what not. Are there any years I should steer clear from if I end up buying the later periods.

Thanks in advance.
I’d buy the 70’s Python, baby it. Buy a Trooper shoot the heck out of it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If only I could just buy both now. Wish I could walk up to a table with a collection of vintage models and 2 models of the new ones (stock and one loved on by Hefron Precision). But alas I've never seen a python for more than a few seconds at a show, most of us are shooting semi-autos.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you’re going to shoot it, one round or 10,000 rounds, my advice is to get a new one.

I’m saving for a new one and from everything I’ve read, seen, or heard the trigger on the new ones are the best out of the box triggers going. Also, it’s getting harder and harder to find someone that can work on a Colt Python. The old ones tend to go out of time with some regularity.

If you want to keep one, and I love the old royal blue myself, then I’d get an older one, put it in the safe, and forget about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
483 Posts
Also, it’s getting harder and harder to find someone that can work on a Colt Python. The old ones tend to go out of time with some regularity
There are a couple of myths that you're promulgating here. One that Pythons are prone to going out of time and two that V Spring Colts are somehow difficult to work on.

While there is a lot of anecdotal evidence to support your claim about Python timing it seems that more people on this forum (which has a lot of Python owners) have heard of this rather than actually experienced it.

I've owned dozens of Colt revolvers and while they are a bit different from a Smith they aren't hard to work on. I maintain all of mine myself and I'm no gunsmith.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Manurhin MR73 and MR38 also have my eye. I just worry if I need service. Maybe a SS new Python and gorgeous blued Manurhin. But now I'm back up to 2 pistols lol. Or add a vintage python too, up to 3 guns. So little money and so many beautiful precision pistols. Luckily I'm only 38 and already have many nice auto loaders, I have many years to collect wheel guns but that doesn't make the decision now any easier lol. It could be worse, we could be collecting cars.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The Manurhin MR73 and MR38 also have my eye. I just worry if I need service. Maybe a SS new Python and gorgeous blued Manurhin. But now I'm back up to 2 pistols lol. Or add a vintage python too, up to 3 guns. So little money and so many beautiful precision pistols. Luckily I'm only 38 and already have many nice auto loaders, I have many years to collect wheel guns but that doesn't make the decision now any easier lol. It could be worse, we could be collecting cars.
If funds can't support two Pythons, perhaps searching for a nice shooter grade blue Python would satisfy your needs for the present time. I am sure Colt will produce more new Pythons in the future, so start a new Python saving jar and pickup a new one at later date. Older blue Pythons are out there, searching for them is half the fun!

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
It sounds like you're all over the map. Decide on one, get it and shoot it a while. It's a fools errand to try to do a run-off between a Ferrari and an Austin-Martin and a Corvette all at the same time on a limited budget.

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
Welcome to the COLT Forum from the Cradle Of Liberty...Pennsylvania !!

Enjoy Our Community Zane... and if I was you, I'd get the gun "I always wanted"

Long time bullseye shooter here, currently MA class. (snip),,,So my conundrum is whether I should get a new or old model. I've always wanted a 6" royal blue python, seems like I should be able to get a 70's - 90's model in really nice shape for $2500 or so. (snip). Thanks in advance.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,989 Posts
So I know colt won't work on the old Pythons but there are individual smiths working on them. How insane are replacement parts to get in the chance you need them?
Not so bad now....Jack First Gun Parts is making new replacements for the most needed parts like the hand and bolt.

Jack First Gun Parts

For formal target shooting, an original Python would have several advantages.......
It has a great SA trigger right out of the box, and you can install Patridge Target front sights, and Ellison Target rear sights as Colt did on special order.
Kensight sell the sights.........

Kensight Sights | Stop-By to Compare the Best Sight Reviews

For durability the New Python is better, from all accounts accuracy will be a wash between the New and old models.

·
Registered
11,612 Posts
Other than the higher than MSRP asking prices of the new Pythons they are not collectible in the same sense as the original examples. For them...shoot the heck out of them. With original Pythons...considering their market values...I would say shoot the shooter quality examples all you want and maybe preserve the NIB examples simply due to their NIB status. But...it's up to the owner what to do. I won't criticize someone for shooting what is their property.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts