Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Dad bought this pistol in 1958 at an Odessa, TX pawn shop for my Mom's home protection while he was working the oil patch.
It's now mine. My dimwit brother took it for a while and engraved his SS on it. Wonder how badly that affects value. It is completely operational, and includes the original magazine I think. Serial No. 27210 lookup found manufacture year of 1915. Anything else I can know about this piece would be appreciated. I actually haven't taken it to the range yet, so anything operational is helpful also. Thanks!

P1090796.jpg P1090799.jpg P1090797.jpg P1090800.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,189 Posts
ShaneP Welcome to the Colt Forum. Hammerless spoken here.

Outstanding first post. Neat M1908 you have.
Put Hammerless 1908 in the search box, plenty to read here.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I always like model Ms, even with dimwit identification pounded into the frame.
Value? Eeeeesh...... With dimwit's SSN on it, it really takes a hit.
What might be a $400-$500 pistol is substantially reduced in value, cost-wise.
If I was an interested buyer, I might go $200.
.....I know.....
It's an insult, and I apologize. The trade/sell value is no longer there.
The only way you might 'save' it might be to obliterate the 'artwork' so it no longer represents an ID of somebody
else's property.
Some guys on here would take that thing and have it overhauled and sent to an expert engraver.($$$)
It is a time honored method of cleaning up a mess, and the result is a nice engraved pistol.
Engraved($$$) with a cheap refinish($$) and some MOP($$$) or ivory($$$) and you have a top-notch BBQ gun.
There is quite a bit of interest in engraved model Ms, and they seem to retain some value.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for posting those improved pictures. Just learning this forum. Will do search as you suggested.
Any idea how much my bone-headed brother with his engraving affected value?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,189 Posts
The extra marking has turned a $500 shooter into a $300 junker parts gun.
There is many finish issues that can be fixed to make the gun look new.
Even then the value will be low.
Leave it as it is, shoot it, enjoy it.
Not worth fixing...JMO

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Shane....Welcome to the Forum. That old Colt looks great IMHO. It has a lot of character and is a family heirloom. Don't worry that it is not a museum piece. Eight is right. Just shoot it and enjoy it and relish the fact that is has spent a nice amount of time in your family.

·
Registered
742 Posts
For that kind of bone head move you should use that SSN and take out a car loan with his credit.

Oh, also, it is a 1908 Pocket Hammerless because it is in .380...the 1903 is in .32. That magazine looks original to me, too. That's a huge bonus. When you do shoot it, you will love it.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Every time I saw that ssn my blood would boil. I would have it nicely engraved then put some ivory grips on it. After that I'd show it to my brother just to see the look on his face.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts