Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Appreciate I found this group, looking forward to the interactions. I have just purchased an LE 6920. My only prior AR 15 experience was with a DPMS which I traded in order to obtain this Colt.

My inclination is to accessorize everything I buy, including weapons. Just my weakness. That being said I would appreciate some advice on this before I shell out on whimsical or inferior additions.

$ are not so much an issue (since what is invested) rather than the best quality and functionality for this weapon.

My thoughts are a quad rail because I have a bi-pod I want to install along with a flashlight. Which one is my question?

Next question is what fundamental upgrades would you folks suggest for this weapon to ensure its longevity and reliability?

I like "rubber" grips on my pistols. Is there a good one for this Colt?

Strangely, to some maybe, I do not hunt. I will shoot casual competition, and want this to be as good as my pistols.

I picked up a "red dot" sight that is cool (impulse accessory purchase - told you)) that in thinking about it will, even when calibrated be good only for a fixed distance "optical/digital" argument. May be fun to use however I think optical is the way to go. I have 2 cheapo scopes but what would you folks recommend as a good investment for this weapon?

Any input from you folks would be appreciated. Happy to a part of this forum...

Nick

·
Registered
435 Posts
My advice for now would be to purchase a good sling (Blue Force Gear, Magpul, V-Tac, etc.), extra magazines, range ammo, and sign up for a good training class. Shooting the gun enough will allow you to see what you like and don't like about it. Then you'll have a better idea of what accessories you need to purchase and can avoid wasting money on things you'll eventually realize you don't need.

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
If you like rubbery grips, Hogue makes a good one:

Soft OverMolded Rubber : Hogue Inc., The Best Value In Handgun Grips, Rifle Stocks and Accessories - Bar None!

There are probably others.

As for extending the life of a Colt LE 6920 or increasing the reliability or durability, there's not much to be done. It was engineered to stand up to full-out military use and I don't know of any really useful accessory that will help.
Most things you see are more for people who just want to accessorize a rifle, and don't really do any thing notable.
If you look through the Brownell's catalog you'll see all sorts of accessories, but none are any real verifiable aid.

Colt is about as good as it gets as far as longevity and durability. Most things you can add may actually cause you trouble.
Sometimes, simpler is better.

I'd install whatever you want in the way of rails, sights, and grips or stocks, and call it a day.
Spend your money on good quality magazines and all the ammo you can afford.

·
Registered
145 Posts
What I've learned in my short time here echoes the above comments. Keep it as simple as possible. It seems that everyone here has their own "brands" that they tend to favor. I've done well for my needs and haven't spent over $200 for any of my optics (red dot or reticle). I've only been shooting a couple of months but already found that I favor the reticle scope over the red dot.

Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Machine gun

Vickers sling...UTG quadrail...UTG bipod...Nikon 3-9x40 scope with cantilever mounts.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I agree with Coltle6920 - shoot the rifle and you will learn what works best for you. You may want to check out M4carbine.net. A lot of valuable knowledge on that sight.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

Changes to my 6920 carbine: Surefire M951 light, Aimpoint CompM2 with LaRue carntilever quick detachable mount, Knight's Armament Co. M4 RAS rails and forward vertical grip, LMT fixed rear sight (now changed with Knight's 300m folding sight), and Vickers VCAS foliage green color two point sling.

I totally agree with the members here shoot it for awhile then you'll find out what improvements you would need.

To get started you at least want to have at least the minimum of 4 mags, 7 would be better (and for future ban laws get 20 or more as much as you could afford), and I highly recommend Magpul PMAG 30 rd mags I've been using them since they first came out in 2007 and they're great, I accidentally dropped them on concrete floor, stepped on them, never any damage, they're super tough.

Get a good two point sling, my favorites are the Blue Force Gear model Vickers VCAS which I prefer when I'm mostly shooting, but when I use my hands most of the time, or I wanted the weapon to be snug tight to my body while hiking, running, or climbing I use my LaRue Tactical (made by Viking Tactics) because when you tighten it, it will not come loose, it is also a good sling if you like to use the sling on your support arm for better stability.

Also get a light as soon as you can because you might have to use it for home defense, get good ones like Surefire, Inforce, or other equivalent high quality lights.

The furniture is mainly personal preference since we are not all the same size and build, that's why there are tons of different sizes and shape of handguards, grips, and buttstocks in the market for the AR.

If you prefer rubber overmolding take a look at Magpul MOE+ grip, the MOE size are to my medium-large hands fits great, but I personally don't prefer rubber on my grip I just stay with the standard hard polymer MOE and MIAD grips.

I have two 6920 carbines so I went two opposite directions with my setups, my main carbine is setup like a military M4 clone (see my pic), I removed the Rogers SuperStoc and used my older Colt M4 buttstock, for the light I used the military issued Surefire model M951 and mounted it to a Knight's Armament Co. (also army issued) M4 RAS rails, I also use a Knight's forward vertical grip because it's easier for my support hand when carrying the carbine for long periods of time.

My other 6920 carbine I setup with mostly commercial Magpul furniture, I'm using a Magpul MOE handguards, Magpul MIAD grip and Magpul STR buttstock with storage compartments, for the light I'm using my old Surefire G series light with polymer body, and for optic I'm using my EOTech old model compact size 551.

If you're going to get a good optic in the future I would highly recommend any Aimpoint model that you might desire, they have a very long battery life, very reliable and I had been very satisfied with their optics with my long 24 years experience with them.

If you prefer a magnified optic there are plenty of good medium priced brands like Leupold, Redfield, Nikon, Bushnell, Vortex, etc.

Reactions: Wild Will

·
Registered
435 Posts
That's a really clean AR, AR15_1911. I've been thinking about doing something similar to that with my BCM4. I bought it as a back-up to my LE6920 early last year and it only has 140 rounds through it and spends way too much time in the safe. Did you go with the blemished RAS, pay full price, or what?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
That's a really clean AR, AR15_1911. I've been thinking about doing something similar to that with my BCM4. I bought it as a back-up to my LE6920 early last year and it only has 140 rounds through it and spends way too much time in the safe. Did you go with the blemished RAS, pay full price, or what?
I bought my KAC RAS rails new but take-off from one of a good member at AR15.com Equipment Exchange classifieds 8 years ago, you could get like new or good condition used there and other large sites for between $100 to $150, I won't buy them at the retail price of around $351 if I could buy it for less than that.

They're also available from time to time at the Knight's site store with no noticeable blems for $150.

There's also an optional separate lower rail half with locking clamp (UK-SAS Lower Rail P/N: 20033) if you want to have a more secure mounted lower rail.

It's easy to install and take off, there's an internal locking clamp that locks on the bottom of the barrel nut which prevents it from moving, it is rock solid even if I apply a lot of force from the forward vertical grip, it is also very well proven by the US military for a long time now, I would highly recommend it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought my KAC RAS rails new but take-off from one of a good member at AR15.com Equipment Exchange classifieds 8 years ago, you could get like new or good condition used there and other large sites for between $100 to $150, I won't buy them at the retail price of around $351 if I could buy it for less than that.

They're also available from time to time at the Knight's site store with no noticeable blems for $150.

There's also an optional separate lower rail half with locking clamp (UK-SAS Lower Rail P/N: 20033) if you want to have a more secure mounted lower rail.

It's easy to install and take off, there's an internal locking clamp that locks on the bottom of the barrel nut which prevents it from moving, it is rock solid even if I apply a lot of force from the forward vertical grip, it is also very well proven by the US military for a long time now, I would highly recommend it.
Thanks for posting this, I've been looking for sources for the KAC rails at a more reasonable price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the responses. Learning about my Colt is part of it and you folks make it fun. Much appreciated!

I do have an issue. I followed the manual, separated upper/lower and cleaned and lubed (as any new weapon should be). No issues.

However.... I want to remove the hand guard in order to either put on a quad rail or to just know how to do it. Problem is manual says pull back on the slip ring and the guard will separate (two halves) and can be removed. Makes perfect sense mechanically looking at it but for the life of me I cant seem to pull back on that ring far enough to make it happen. Called my neighbor in for reinforcements between us we struggled to no avail.

I'm missing something. Don't want take tools to my $$$ weapon and damage anything, I'll take the ribbing what am I overlooking here?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well you certainly made my day with your last post. I get to piss off some members here talking about one of my favorite vendors. That ring is called a "Delta ring" and some people here can easily slide it back by hand. They make a tool for it for those of us without opposable thumbs. It's called a handguard removal tool and readily available from CHEAPER THAN DIRT for $12.99. You can also see how it easy it works in videos on YouTube. It's covered in plastic so it won't scratch your baby.

If you do go to CHEAPER THAN DIRT
you can find this item under Category: Gun Gear and Parts » AR-15 » Tools

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

AR Style handguard removal tool

I'm missing something. Don't want take tools to my $$$ weapon and damage anything, I'll take the ribbing what am I overlooking here?
I had several Colt AR-15 in the past and currently have five, the slip ring you mentioned are what we call the "Delta Ring", it varies on different rifles, sometimes it is easy to remove the handguards sometimes some are hard to remove, when they're hard to remove I use my handguard removal tool (see pic above).

They are synthetic rubber or plastic coated steel rod so they won't scratch the finish of your lower and delta ring, you hook the hook at the front of the magazine well and the two rods are against the left and right sides of the delta ring, when you pull the end of the rod backwards toward the buttstock, it pushes the delta ring back at a greater force, then it's easy to remove the lower and upper handguards, remove the handguard half one at a time.

See the Brownells link for the video instruction of the noted handguard removal tool below.

AR-15/M16/AR-STYLE .308 HANDGUARD REMOVAL TOOL | Brownells

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
In GI Field Manuals it shows handguards being removed using the "buddy system" where one person pulls back the delta ring and another pulls off one hand guard, then the other.

Some of these have strong springs, so it takes some force and you need a good grip even with the buddy system.
Or as they say up north in the logging camps, "Ya, dey got schtrong fingers in da voods".

·
Registered
435 Posts
Good info. I've seen that on the KAC site, but never taken a closer look. I had assumed that it must be for an L-85 since it said "UK".

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Good info. I've seen that on the KAC site, but never taken a closer look. I had assumed that it must be for an L-85 since it said "UK".
The UK-SAS special lower half was really for UK SAS Special Forces and Canadian army because they use the KAC RIS (not the RAS model - most US military use RAS rails) which does not have a locking feature, so when their RIS rails gets worn out and moves around the problem are fixed by the special lower rail with the locking bottom bracket.

I had been using my KAC RAS rails normally for about 8 years now and it's still snug with no noticeable movement, but if it ever moves I could just get the UK-SAS (which KAC states it also works with the RAS rails) lower rail to tighten it again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts