Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Colt New Police 32-Serial #33467-a.jpg Colt New Police 32-Serial #33467-b.jpg
Just acquired this. Barrel is stamped Colt New Police 32, and my first question is: which 32 ammunition? It's not a Police Positive as I understand it it, but the predecessor. Nowhere do I see caliber marked on the gun. Serial number is 33487 and the butt is marked C P D. I am in northern Kentucky across the river from Cincinnati so it's probably Cincinnati or Covington (KY) PD. Can anybody advise of ammo or approximate age? Thanks.
(If someone can tell me how to delete the thumbnail of the chuck wrench shown, I'd like to know.)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
The 32NP cartridge is the same as the 32 S&W Long.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If you've never shot a 32 long, you're in for a treat. I have a S&W pre model 30 and it is a hoot to shoot. 32 long is known for fine accuracy.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Ironic. Your PP is 1906 and in the newer .32 new police(S&W .32), while my 1907 is in the obsolete Colt .32 short or long. The only difference I can see, is my barrel is marked Colt DA .32, where yours says...well you know what it says. Colt didn't give up for awhile pushing their obsolete outside lubed little number until forced to, I guess by the market. Heres mine now after I shortened barrel and made new grips.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
The C.P.D. marked New Police is Cinncinnati PD.

Good find!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So: I can shoot both S&W .32's from a Colt New Police 32?

I picked this up at a pawn shop for $200 out the door. He was in in way too deep and finally got tired of seeing it. I've gotten to know the guy and we had been joking about me buying it for several weeks. Inside the grips were scratched the serial number and three initials. I may contact the CPD and see if there might be some historical records of the individual who carried it in the day. Did anyone determine a build date for this serial number? Pictures posted were pre-clean-up, and it responded well. I'll probably get it to my gun shop for a once over today.

The trigger pull is brutal--is this common?

·
Registered
670 Posts
So: I can shoot both S&W .32's from a Colt New Police 32?

I picked this up at a pawn shop for $200 out the door. He was in in way too deep and finally got tired of seeing it. I've gotten to know the guy and we had been joking about me buying it for several weeks. Inside the grips were scratched the serial number and three initials. I may contact the CPD and see if there might be some historical records of the individual who carried it in the day. Did anyone determine a build date for this serial number? Pictures posted were pre-clean-up, and it responded well. I'll probably get it to my gun shop for a once over today.

The trigger pull is brutal--is this common?
Yeah, I gave you build date above with a pic of my NP. It's 1906. I too paid $200. I softened the trigger pull on mine by very carefully bending the hammer spring at the point recommended by Colt. They are old and if you break it...well it would be hard to find another, as this spring has a special tab on it. Still, it was well worth it to make it useable. I love mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny thing happened on my weekly pawn shop treasure hunt--I found another Colt New Police 32. This one's finish is in significantly better condition, and has TPF on the butt; serial #28224, so it's marginally older than gun #1. $150 out the door. Side plate was a little cock-eyed and I think the seller was concerned there were internal problems, but a tear down and cleaning diidn't turn up anything. Should get a chance later this week to try it out--Colt #1 fired fine last week. 100_0218.jpg 100_0219.jpg

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Yes, you can shoot both .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long if it is chambered for .32 S&W Long. The only dimensional difference is case length. There is no .32 S&W Short, just .32 S&W. Not that I recommend the practice for an older revolver, but many .32 revolvers will also chamber and fire .32 ACP.

·
Registered
23 Posts
see my New Police from 1905 here:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/photos-area/7032-colt-picture-gallery-14.html#post353008

Mine has TPF 113 on the butt. It must have been a presentation gun and stored in a drawer all it's life as it is perfect in every respect.

I checked with a few towns around here that begin with "T" and had no luck with what the T stood for. After a while I read that the TPF stands for Toronto Police Force and that they had quite a few of the New Police Colts during the early part of the 20th century.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
see my New Police from 1905 here:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/photos-area/7032-colt-picture-gallery-14.html#post353008

Mine has TPF 113 on the butt. It must have been a presentation gun and stored in a drawer all it's life as it is perfect in every respect.

I checked with a few towns around here that begin with "T" and had no luck with what the T stood for. After a while I read that the TPF stands for Toronto Police Force and that they had quite a few of the New Police Colts during the early part of the 20th century.
Could be the initials of the police officer that used it as well. Do the initials look anything like the initials on mine? Mine was used by a cop named James M Tolles, an officer under Chief Bowen in Meriden CT.

This is James M Tolles:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts