Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this real clean Police Positive in .38 S&W on Gunbroker a few week's back.
It dates to 1926. The seller posted a bad photo on gunbroker so I rolled the dice
and got it at a good price. There were no other bidders. I really like the compact size
of these revolvers, barrel is 5 inches.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
That's a very nice looking old PP. 1926 was the last year for the narrow square butt if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
The wider square butt. I can get the dimensions from Gary Peer's book. I don't have any pre 1927 square butt guns to measure personally but you can see the difference in photos.

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Very nice!

My own little Police Positive ( though not in near as high of condition as yours ) is amazingly accurate...really surprised me when I had it out at the Range.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wider square butt. I can get the dimensions from Gary Peer's book. I don't have any pre 1927 square butt guns to measure personally but you can see the difference in photos.
OK, now I'm curious, can someone post A photo of the change on a revolver you have.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice!

My own little Police Positive ( though not in near as high of condition as yours ) is amazingly accurate...really surprised me when I had it out at the Range.
I agree, I put 100 rounds through this one and was impressed, though I only shot it at 25 feet.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
OK, now I'm curious, can someone post A photo of the change on a revolver you have.
Here ya' go!

The change resulted in the gripframe being 1 3/4" wide at the bottom as opposed to 1 1/2" in the pre-1927 revolvers. The later revolvers also acquired the flattened, serrated topstrap and checkered trigger around the same time.

Attachments

Reactions: muddyboot

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
A fellow could build a rather substantial collection of Colts in just acquiring the various examples of Police Positives!

Its amazing all of the variations there are ...

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here ya' go!

The change resulted in the gripframe being 1 3/4" wide at the bottom as opposed to 1 1/2" in the pre-1927 revolvers. The later revolvers also acquired the flattened, serrated topstrap and checkered trigger around the same time.
Thank you up196. The size change is interesting. The larger grip appears to be much larger even though the demensions are not. Really like you subby PP's . Dang, now i'm going to spend myself into the poor house trying to get all the different variations of Police Positives:bang_wall:

·
Registered
914 Posts
Really nice PP you got there. Looks pristine especially for its age. Congrats on your find and thanks for sharing.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
That's a nice example of a Police Positive both in finish and configuration. Good find :) . As was stated before one can spend quite a bit of time accumulating/collecting varying examples of the Police Positive due to the multiple variations in caliber offered, frame differences and barrel lengths and these are just factory offerings of the day and don't account for custom or part replacement pieces. One thing for sure, Colt made a LOT of them.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Police Positive was most produced gun by Colt. I think 750000 were made. No one makes a finish like that any more, nice revolver.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Police Positive was most produced gun by Colt. I think 750000 were made. No one makes a finish like that any more, nice revolver.
Thanks very much. This one not been fired often, look's like a sock drawer special. RickS, get you mind out of the gutter mister:p, I know you love to see PP's

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The letter arrived for this Colt today. Shipped Feb 8, 1928 to Arizona Hardware and Supply Company. Phoenix,Arizona, Blue, 5" barrel, Stocks were noted as Checkered Wood in a 1 gun shipment. The seller I purchased the revolver from was in Chino Valley Arizona. Letter time was 5 months, 1 week and 6 days from the day I mailed the letter. I also joined the Colt Collectors association today, should have done that years ago.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,648 Posts
The Police Positive, Police Positive Special and Police Positive Target can make up a tremendous collection. Excellent examples are still available at reasonable prices. These could be a real sleeper as every other pre war Colt has become more collectible. As a point of interest when talking about the narrow butt verses the wide butt. The second model of the target gun had the wide butt however Colt did build a few with the narrow butt for shooters with a small grip. These are seldom encountered and most collectors don't even know that they exist. Something to keep your eye out for. Don't let it confuse you when you see the first model of the Police Positive Target as they all had the narrow butt. The wide butt frame started in 1926.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts