Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and i like to collect consecutive guns, and recently he found a set of consecutive serial numbered new production king cobras and showed them to me online so i acquired them, got them to the house after picking them up from my ffl, to realize the changed the frame sized and the new king cobra is now basically a 357 detective special...any insight as to why colt changed the frame size (which to me changes the gun) and kept the name?

·
Registered
141 Posts
If I had to guess they knew a .357 on a d sized frame would sell and be an awesome carry gun, but kept the king cobra name to cash in on the snake gun craze. It's pretty much a modern day magnum carry.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i gotta say i was disappoint when i opened that box....
If I had to guess they knew a .357 on a d sized frame would sell and be an awesome carry gun, but kept the king cobra name to cash in on the snake gun craze. It's pretty much a modern day magnum carry.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The new King Cobra is indeed intended more for the concealed carry crowd, but the new King Cobra Target has more potential at the range. While still not the size (and weight) of the original King Cobra, it has manageable recoil with excellent accuracy. The tradeoff is dealing with a little more recoil to achieve similar results in a smaller and lighter revolver.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
The original King Cobra was sized to be a fine, heavy-duty service and field revolver...but it was released when revolvers were on their way out as service sidearms. That takes nothing away from it for what it was and still is. The current King Cobra...as already stated...was to capitalize on the snake gun craze and the concealed carry market which was and still is very hot. It followed the new Cobra as Colt's return to the double-action revolver market.

Reactions: Maxcustody

·
Registered
197 Posts
A new guy to the world of snake guns, I like the new King Cobra. While at my LGS I found a DS speed loader that works great, and I think folks are correct. The gun is aimed at the concealed carry market and that is my intention so guessed it worked on me. I just liked the feel and trigger..

·
Registered
450 Posts
Good info............I did not know they were not the same size as the original. I just picked up a 1987 model.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts