Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some information about the current production SAA. I find that all I have now are government models and I'm sure that I "need" another SAA. I have had them from 1968, 1972, 1979, and several from the 90s. The 90s guns were not Colt's best. Poor frame/grip frame fit was my biggest complaint. How am I going to like the current production Model Ps?
Thanks,
ADP3

·
Registered
72 Posts
The newer 3rd & 1/2 generation Colt SAAs look better than the previous version, but they are still not up to the fit and finish of the early 2nd generation guns or the 1st generation version. As much as I am going to get flamed for this, US Firearms makes a superior SAA to the modern Colt version and if I were going to buy one, that is what I would get, in .45 Colt with a spare .45 ACP cylinder with a Turnbull casehardened frame with carbonia blued barrel, cylinder, frame and appointments. Colt with today's production is only a name in the SAA world.

[This message has been edited by The Virginian (edited 12-10-2004).]

·
Registered
794 Posts
Virginian, you aren't going to get flamed around here for that. Give us a little more credit than that. Just because most here really like their Colts, doesn't mean we don't also recognize that some of them have short comings.

You may very well be correct about the higher quality of the USF. But as you well know it will never say Colt on it and will always be a copy. Sadly where once the SSA was a tool, it has long since been relegated to an icon.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Not going to flame you either,Virginian.I was looking at a couple of USF "clones" with the deluxe treatment that you mentioned,and the quality was incredible-but so was the price! I know what a "real" new SAA costs,but I just can't ever seeing myself spending that kind of money on a "copy". Part of it is jingoism(extreme patriotism) that foreigners are making one of the top icons of U.S. history(even though the piece IS completed here). The other is long term value. No,I am not an "investor",but I don't think clones will ever appreciate much in value. They have filled a vital role in the wonderful sport of Cowboy Action Shooting,which wouldn't exist(except for the mega rich people)if genuine & expensive Colts,Winchesters,etc. were all that was available for the participants to use.The two 3rd gen Colts that I've had experience with(one since traded),are no where the equal in finish,and especially factory timing,of the handful of 1st and 2nd gen.ones that I am fortunate enough to own & shootquite often,so I doubt if I would buy a new Colt SAA either. I also collect and shoot Great Westerns,and while there were "issues" with some of their early guns,they are solid American made SAAs. Prices have climbed in the last decade,mostly due to Cowboy Shooting,but they are still 1/4 to 1/3 the value of the contemporary 2nd gen. Colts,whose reintroduction in 1956,at only $25 higher(I know,these were 1950s dollars)doomed the California based firm,that had gotten its act together and was making some quality guns. Bud

·
Registered
72 Posts
None of the current US Firearms parts are of foriegn origin. They are 100% USA made at the old Colt factory. Their fit and finish is superior and for the money a better buy, although almost as expensive as the Colt. The company that makes them is growing and is just about as popular as ever with the CAS crowd. Doug Turnbull the master restorer of Colt SAAs and Winchesters chose US Firearms over Colt because they were made more historically accurate and the fact they are fit and finished much better out of the box compared to the Colt. From the collectors standpoint, no it will never be a Colt, but just look at the 1911 crowd, there are many non Colt 1911s that will shoot the pants off the current Colt offerings. Kimber is one of them and Springfield is atleast a peer. Thanks for the non-flames, I'll stop ducking now. Regards to all.

[This message has been edited by The Virginian (edited 12-14-2004).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts