Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad came to me yesterday and decides he wants a brand spanking new "Colt 45". I was a little surprised but we discussed it and he has me on the hunt. Today, he asks me which barrel length I would buy if I were buying a new one and which one was the most desirable...and would likely be the most valuable in the long run. I can say that hes gonna fire it at least a few times so it won't be a Safe- Queen entirely. So....What say...ya'll? Which barrel length??

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gator, I agree! He's torn between 4-3/4 & 7-1/2...which is a good thing because my LGS has two 4-3/4 and one 7-1/2. I like the gunfighter length best, myself..

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just picked up a new production 4 3/4" SAA 45 colt. I love it. The New factory grips do have a bite to them if your shooting factory 255 Gr. SJFN bullets. I shot 100 rds of Federal American Eagles yesterday and I knew I shot them. I'm thinking of going the wood grip route with mine. The bottom edge of my grips seem really sharp. Your dad will love any barrel length. I own a pile of pistols and this is my 1st Saa. What a bunch of fun she is. I also bought mine to shoot a little, Way wrong answer, She going to get shot alot.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I think the best bet is to take Dad to the gun store and let him handle the different guns and see what he prefers. I understand "most desirable" and "most valuable" but if it will be his shooter, "most liked" and "feels best in his hand" should be high on the list.

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
Have him try the feel of the Colt clones like Taylor's and Cimarron for balance - mot LGS' carry those in stock than Colts - and gun shows are full of them.

The 7 1/2" has a good, natural balance, but can be a bit on the long side for carry, while the 4 3/4" is a bit more difficult to shoot well without a lot of practice.

The 5 1/2" is a nice balance between the two, and saw a lot of holster time back in the day - 'and' was the barrel length of choice when the Government refurbished their stock of revolvers in the 1890s.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
I go with 4-3/4”(1999) but just in case I’ve got a 7.5”(2015),also. 😂 Pete

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Here are thee SAA's in 45, I have more 5 1/2" than others, just like the looks and feel, next favorite would be the 4 3/4" then the 7 1/2. Your Dad may find his likes a little different, they are all great guns and fun to shoot.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
Since your dad asked what would likely be most valuable in the long run, I'd say 4.75". However, I'd have him handle all three lengths and advise him to buy what he likes most, not what is likely to be more valuable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For some reason the 5 1/2" length always fit the definition of the SAA in my head. That length was reinforced over the years with the purchase of an original Vaquero and a Uberti clone. Then last year I was dumbstruck when I saw a new 4 3/4" Colt SAA at my lgs. It felt so great in my hand. Yes I brought it home! It's now my favorite length:D

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lots of good points! Dad has decided he wants the 7-1/2. I prefer the look and balance of the
4-3/4. I have several Uberti's, other Italian Clones as well as an 1883 Colt Artillery (bought from fellow forum member-Swamprat.. RIP)...which is obviously in 5-1/2 and my favorite that I own. Dad has seen and handled all these..(none of mine are 7-1/2). He likes to be different I suppose! Could be that when we were discussing it, I pointed out that "After all, the 7-3/4 was the original article!" I love them all....clones included! Since this is my thread I owe all you guys some pictures to come soon!

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since we're on the subject and to edit my last post where I mentioned 7-3/4 when I mean't 7-1/2......do any of you folks know about how these new production guns are made? I'm the "Gun Nerd" of the family and I was wondering if any inferior parts are used in these now. MIM or non-forged parts...etc? I have no experience with new Colts as most of you that know me...know by now!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I happen to have several SAA's, with all (3) barrel lengths represented (plus a 12" Buntline Special) and love them all!

Have your dad watch a You Tube video or two -- Hickok45 did a nice review at:

Essentially the longer the barrel length the longer the accuracy.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I've had and used them all, But for daily carry I prefer 5 1/2 for it's natural ease in drawing from a holster and it's sight radius for shooting just in case I need to hit something with a little more distance. I remember that shooting in Dallas when a cop pulled his sidearm and hit the terrorist a long way off. Besides, I tend to make my holsters for 5 1/2" and that's my choice to fill my holsters. There are Pros and Cons to each barrel length. BEST WISHES!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts