Colt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
My Dad came to me yesterday and decides he wants a brand spanking new "Colt 45". I was a little surprised but we discussed it and he has me on the hunt. Today, he asks me which barrel length I would buy if I were buying a new one and which one was the most desirable...and would likely be the most valuable in the long run. I can say that hes gonna fire it at least a few times so it won't be a Safe- Queen entirely. So....What say...ya'll? Which barrel length??
It's interesting to me that the Duke began using a longer barreled Colt, and over the years eventually settled on the shorter barrel, the 4 3/4 inch model. It's handier, easier to carry, sufficiently accurate, better balanced in the hand, and easier to twirl. I think most single action enthusiasts would agree with that, but it's really a matter of what pleases you. I carry mine in a halfbreed holster, with a roughout suede cartridge belt, like the one that Duke used, and understand why he chose that combination. Also have nice El Paso rigs. But, a matter of choice. Whatever pleases your dad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do not have a Colt but I have a Ruger 45 long colt in a 71/2 in barrel and love it. It is very accurate and nice to shoot. I do not have the money to buy Colts and never had the money to buy Colts so I purchased the Colt copy of a Ruger Blackhawk SAA

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am a fan of the western movies from the 1930's and 1940's. Most of the Colt SAA you see are 5 1/2 inch models. Western movies from the 1960s usually feature 4 3/4 Colt SAA. 1950s TV shows used a lot of 7 1/2 Colt SAA. Personally I like 5 1/2 Colt SAA in 45 Colt, they look and feel good.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I do not have a Colt but I have a Ruger 45 long colt in a 71/2 in barrel and love it. It is very accurate and nice to shoot. I do not have the money to buy Colts and never had the money to buy Colts so I purchased the Colt copy of a Ruger Blackhawk SAA
Ruger makes a very good quality handgun. I've owned a few of them, and have no complaints. The Vaquero model is extremely popular now, especially among Cowboy Action Shooters, and my friends who use them swear by them. They are strong and accurate, and have a couple of improvements over the Colt design, like the coil mainspring. But the appearance, while similar, is not the same as the Colt. The Ruger has a somewhat humpbacked look, because of the beefier top strap, and the more robust "Blackhawk" design. The grip angle is different, and feels different in the hand. The Colt, for lack of a better word, is more agile. If I were going afield, and had to choose a single action on which my life might depend, I would probably pick a Ruger. For other purposes, and because I'm a purist of sorts, I prefer the aesthetic appeal of the Colt, the traditional, original profile of the sixgun that my cowboy heroes carried at the Saturday Matinee when I was a kid. Just me. Lots of desirable old west firearms out there, originals and replicas, and I've owned a few of them. But in the end I'll stick with the Colt.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've owned several of all three Colt barrel lengths but the 5-1/2" has always been my favorite. It has better balistics than the 4-1/2" and is not far behind the 7-1/2"; plus it handles (for me) the best. My two BlackHawk .45 Colts are a 4-1/2" and a 7-1/2"; the 4-1/2" is my favorite in this case.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
He's taken the 7-1/2". Big smile on his face when he heard all 4 crisp, new clicks! I'll take a couple of pictures tomorrow. IMHO...Colt still does a nice job on fit & finish but what do I know? If I were a hair splitting critic...I'd say the blue finish could stand to be a little more well done. I have $350 Uberti's with way-more "Pop"..lets just say...

·
Registered
34 Posts
He's taken the 7-1/2". Big smile on his face when he heard all 4 crisp, new clicks! I'll take a couple of pictures tomorrow. IMHO...Colt still does a nice job on fit & finish but what do I know? If I were a hair splitting critic...I'd say the blue finish could stand to be a little more well done. I have $350 Uberti's with way-more "Pop"..lets just say...
It's a close call on bluing, since some of my older Smith and Wessons have absolutely beautiful finishes, maybe the best I've seen. My Colt "Royal Blue" finish is also great. Interestingly, a few years ago I was surprised to discover a small, foreign made, relatively inexpensive carry gun with a flawless blue finish, polished to near perfection. So cost is not the only factor in getting a quality product. Few may do it as well, but none, I think, do it better than Colt and Smith. My 50 year old Python still shines, but then it has been cared for like an only child.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I too just bought a brand new 7 1/2" barrel SAA. 2020 production. I already had the shorter barrel lengths so this one just complimented the other two 3rd gens I had. Where did your dad find it? To be honest, I heard lots of horror stories about Colt's case hardening colors being sort of yellow and just how do we say "weird"? So, I ran into this brand new one at a gun store about 40 miles from my house. I liked the colors and the bluing just fine. I thought it was just as good as my other two SAA's. Maybe a little darker but not bad. I tried to resist but I eventually came back and bought the thing. It was keeping me up at night wanting it. Seems very well made and finished. Hope to see pictures of your dad's soon. Here is mine. Serial #S883XXA. I paid $1650 before tax.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I too just bought a brand new 7 1/2" barrel SAA. 2020 production. I already had the shorter barrel lengths so this one just complimented the other two 3rd gens I had. Where did your dad find it? To be honest, I heard lots of horror stories about Colt's case hardening colors being sort of yellow and just how do we say "weird"? So, I ran into this brand new one at a gun store about 40 miles from my house. I liked the colors and the bluing just fine. I thought it was just as good as my other two SAA's. Maybe a little darker but not bad. I tried to resist but I eventually came back and bought the thing. It was keeping me up at night wanting it. Seems very well made and finished. Hope to see pictures of your dad's soon. Here is mine. Serial #S883XXA. I paid $1650 before tax.

View attachment 699703
dkay62, Nice looking SAA! I'm not really an expert on CCH finish. I just know what I like to look at. I have several Uberti's with beautiful color case hardening BUT...I think they do a chemical process and with mine, they 'wear'.. almost with every outing & any handling. One of them so bad on the loading gate that I can almost rub the finish off with my hand. Dad's looks nice and evenly spread out. BTW, you stole that one as I'm ashamed to post what he paid for his. In any event.. it was hard to find and wouldn't have lasted long at any price at my LGS.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Thanks Sparebux. Nothing wrong with Uberti revolvers. They are very good. If you have never seen this video you will be amazed at what goes into making them. It is amazing how inexpensive they are considering everything.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
That's a great lookin' 7.5" Colt SAA Dkay !!

My Uberti 1875 Remington clone is also a 7.5"...

To tell ya the truth...I like 'em all.

...Psst...Did I miss the pics of Sparebux Dad's SAA !?

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
SHOOTER13 you didn't miss it...it's been a busy time around here and I haven't found the time as of yet! I'll try to do better!

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
If you're not impressed with the blue - clean off the factory lube/preservative and re-oil.

Colt 'used' to use a spray wax like 'Pledge' after they proof-fired their wares, and dropped them into the box - from what I've seen, they still do so, so once that's been removed, it should look much more appealing.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
My grandmother-(Pop's mom)...took a nasty fall Tuesday night at the local rest home. Shes 88. We haven't been able to go in and visit her there for a long while now because of the Chinese Virus. For several years she was spoiled with visitors daily and quite enjoyed them up until this S**T Storm started. Long & short of it: She's now in a coma at UNC/Wayne and won't likely come out of it so Dad is obviously a little out of his normal character! Anyway, that's why I haven't shared any pictures with you guys. If anyone out there has a happy and somewhat healthy grandmother that lights up when you visit her in a permanent care facility....hang out a while with her, watch The Golden Girls with her, ask her for stories...family history, etc. You never know....it might be your last Sunday afternoon visit with grandma watching her smile as she gobbles up a Wendy's Single w/cheese and a Frosty!!!!

21 - 40 of 53 Posts