Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys it's been so long since I've posted on here just because I can never remember my password now. I just wanted to share with everyone the purchase of Python No. 4 in my collection. This very rare example from 1956 : http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/703511568. I haven't received the weapon yet but I can't wait! I think at that price I got a bargain on it considering it's rarity and condition. I'd say its easily worth $5500 but what do you guys think? I'm sure most people would leave this in their safe, but I plan on very very carefully putting a few rounds down range with this baby from time to time. I'll post more pics when I'm able to pick it up (NJ gun laws suck!).

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Nice revolver for sure i have a 58 & 59 Python paid allot less for them this year, less then half what you paid. What is the rarity in this particular revolver to be worth up to $5,500 and congrats on your find and thanks for sharing. I am also from NJ born and raised in Newark you NJ laws do suck as do the taxes thats why in live in NC.

·
Registered
356 Posts
You got a good deal, it also has the original box and test target. 1956 had the 2nd least amount of Python's produced that year. A few years ago a 1956 Python with original box was going for way more than what you paid. The greatest thing now is that you can say that you own a 2nd year Python and you'll get years of enjoyment out of it.

Thanks for sharing, keep us posted of when you receive it better yet a range report.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lower production numbers. Typically the earlier the gun, the higher the price tag; which is normal for most firearms. They only made about 1300 guns in 1956. I can't imagine even a quarter of those still have the original box and paper work with them. That's the second lowest amount to 1955 which had 300 produced. 1955s are almost always in the 10k+ range regardless of condition. I've never seen a '56 in good condition sell below $4800 even without everything. My guess was that everyone is a little distracted/upset after the Las Vegas Massacre. It's weird to see Pythons selling relatively low but slide fire stocks costing $1,000 or more on GB.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wanted to update you guys with pics now that I have the gun. Like the seller detailed there is some very slight bluing loss near the muzzle and trigger guard. A small scratch on the very top of the gun and some wear on the checkering on the one side of the grips. However, all in all I'd have to say its 98% condition. I also confirmed the barrel is original since it's the rare hollow underlug. The box is of course in pretty poor condition, but I have it! I took it very carefully to the range yesterday and whoa what a piece it really is. By far the best trigger and action of all of my Pythons and the best feeling gun I've ever had the pleasure of shooting. I was hoping someone here might be able to give me more information on the signatures on the target and certificate. Any idea who those people were?

20171102_165315.jpg 20171102_164301.jpg 20171102_164908.jpg 20171102_164948.jpg 20171102_164928.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts