Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the new Python production running a low rate? Have only seen one in a gun shop and the prices on Gunbroker are astronomical. Figured they would be selling at about half current prices. Only thing I can see is the production rate must be really low for them to be so scarce?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,884 Posts
From people with an "in" at Colt, Colt is concentrating on production of the new Python and is turning them out as fast and as much as possible..
The reasons for the rarity is the high demand for the new Python and the current buying craze for all guns and ammo.

Currently it's a sellers market and people who do get Pythons are charging premium to scalper prices.
Anytime there's a huge demand for something the price goes up.
When there's an almost desperate buying craze the prices go crazy.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I'm still holding out on the New Python; don't think they've really worked out all of the issues yet and the pricings that dealers are currently trying to get. I'm a very patient Colt supporter but they got to this thing right before any monetary funds are expended..........

·
Registered
5 Posts
The same LGS in Spring, TX was able to get me a 6” about 6 weeks ago (S/N 0077xx). I’ve run about 550 rounds (a mix of .38/.357) with ZERO issues, other than having to screw/tighten- down the rear sight windage adjustment screw. Love it!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wonder what their production volume per week or per month is on the Python? I suspect they just figured they would continue to do what they have always done and how they have always done it and didn't predict demand or if they did they just ignored it and didn't do anything to gear up to meet it. I suspect we will still have the shortage in the market place five years from now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just wonder what their production volume per week or per month is on the Python? I suspect they just figured they would continue to do what they have always done and how they have always done it and didn't predict demand or if they did they just ignored it and didn't do anything to gear up to meet it. I suspect we will still have the shortage in the market place five years from now.
I ordered mine 1-4-20 and received it in June #86XX. Since I had to wait so long I contacted Colt twice and they replied back along with following the auction sites where most new pythons go to get sold overpriced. I can tell you the first 5,000 took forever with quality issues and covid. The next 5,000 released went much faster. Finding qualified labor is tough when hiring, much less finding qualified gun smiths.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,884 Posts
Gunsmiths don't build production guns.
This began with Colt right at the start in the early 1840's.
Colt invented modern gun making where trained workers made guns.
Prior to this guns were made by gunsmiths who virtually hand made them one at a time.
This is why the Europeans were astounded at seeing mass production at the Colt plant in England.

Gunsmiths are used to trouble shoot production problems, to repair warranty returns, and to do custom work.
The production workers are trained to run machinery and do assembly.
In the older Colt's like the Python the assemblers were very skilled people but not really gunsmiths.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I saw on an auction site yesterday #11,xxx, so their moving allow nicely now. But for some reason the price on the 4 1/4” was up over a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
450 Posts
just a heads up if anyone is interested my local dealer has one 6 inch just arrived and selling at MSRP $1499. I have bought several guns from them. Great staff and customer service. I am not in anyway affiliated. If interested PM me and I will give you info. Not sure about posting on here if it is against the rules.

Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts