Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got home a little while ago. I took my New, Python 2020 to the range. I left the Python I bought 31 years ago at home. I felt like I was being unfaithful!

Today I was rewarded with some mighty fine shooting. The Python 2020 is a very fine handgun that still manages to outclass the competition. It is smooth with a crisp single action trigger and excellent accuracy. I raised the rear sight today for the 100 yard mark. There is a steel-circle swinging target at 100 yards. I don't recall the size, either 10" or 12" in diameter. With my 52 year-old eyes, iron sights and shooting in a 2-handed stance, it is challenging. I literally beat the hell out of that target today! A miss was a rarity. Each time I cocked that Python I savored the smooth-feeling action. I have learned after 31 years of owning Pythons, it's a gun to be savored!

I will simply spell it out. I work in the business. I will never reveal my identity as I will not "plug" my business. That's not what this site is for. I have tuned many, many, many Pythons over the years. I have also re-timed them and performed other repairs. The old Python is a beautiful gun, but from the point of practical shooting, accuracy, refinement and overall "feel", the old Python has NOTHING on the new Python 2020. They made some much-needed changes. I have put over 1,000 full-magnum rounds through my Python 2020 and all is well. I LOVE THIS GUN!!!

I once owned a Korth, I had a Manurhin revolver on loan and yes, they are both very nice. I did note however, neither was as accurate as my Pythons. The Python 2020 shoots every bit as good as my old Pythons; I have proven that with a Ransom Rest. The Python 2020 is overall stronger than the old Python and in some areas MUCH stronger. Not only did they redesign it for improved durability by eliminating fragile parts, beefing up vulnerable parts and redesigning key areas for a stronger gun, Colt has admitted to using a superior stainless alloy that is harder and tougher. That includes every part in and on the gun. I don't know if I'm entirely sold on that rear sight yet, but during actual use and constantly changing adjustment for different loads and different ranges, it has worked totally fine.

Using my 30+ years of experience with my hands stuck in these things and thousands of revolvers passing through my hands, the Python 2020 is a world-class revolver by any measuring stick. My resolve on that is unshakable. Well played Colt!! Well played!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Great post and an encouraging one as I plan on buying a new Python when all the hoopla dies down and they become readily available at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I genuinely believe that if Colt plays their cards right, they WILL become a force to be reckoned with in the revolver market again. Many new or updated products have glitches unfortunately. The Python reappeared with so much publicity it couldn't help but come out on the short end. Colt is addressing the issues however. I am hoping with everything I've got that we'll see Diamondbacks and Anacondas eventually. I'm sure they need to see a return on the Python (return to pay off tooling and research).

·
Registered
344 Posts
Great report. I'm too am hopeful that Colt will return to it's former days of glory. Lord knows, they sure are drumming up plenty of excitement with their latest offerings. Thanks and enjoy in good health.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for your enthusiastic review. I just got my new 2020 Python. I'm thrilled to have it. I haven't taken it to the range yet. I just have to say that there is play in my rear sight. I locked down the windage blade. But the sight itself is loose. I can crank down the elevation adjustment screw to tighten the sight, but obviously if I do that I lose the ability to adjust the elevation. I have looked long and hard and have only found one person talking about this. So it seems that most new Python owners either don't have this problem or consider it normal. Maybe it's supposed to wiggle when the elevation isn't all the way down. I have similar rear sights on my Ruger GP 100 and it fits tightly in the frame. I would love to hear if anyone else has experienced this with their 2020 Python and/or what people think about it. Thanks in advance. I'm new to the Python world.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts