Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Go for a little visit over to the GB site. Do a search for just about any "expensive" Python. Who's name do you so over and over and over again as the top bidder? Looks like there's a new super Python collector in town named Scotbilt. Lindsay01 now has some company.

Am I jealous? You bet I am...

·
Registered
620 Posts
I was bidding against him on a few Pythons last week. I won, but only because I live in California and was desperate to get them. I thought that "Scotbilt" sounded familiar. Googled the name and came back with a hit for a manufactured home Company. Don't know if its the same person but it might add up

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I did some tracking on scotbilt a week or so ago after loosing out to him on two different Pythons.What I found was interesting to say the least.In 19 days he bought 15 Pythons and paid out $43244 not including s&h fees.That's a lot of Pythons and money.There's nothing wrong with it just causes my radar to go off.D*

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
In 19 days he bought 15 Pythons and paid out $43244 WOW! And I thought I had a BOA addiction!! Needless to say he's got my love for the colt beat and not to mention my kitty funds

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Without looking at what he purchased I'd say he may be trying to amass a complete collection. To do this he would need by my estimate at least 23 variations if the Elite is not thrown into the mix.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Greg was a Machine Gun Collector in the 70s and acquired a heck of a nice collection. His Investment has paid him back handsomely and he has decided it is time to freshen his inventory and has sold off some of his Full Auto Stock and is now turning it into Python Stock hoping that in the next 10+ years the investment will double or triple as the Automatic weapons did. It is awfully hard to outbid him when he is working on a 10 year plan. There is a bottom to the pit and it will eventually come to the surface and things will get back to normal except the price of Pythons will have doubled because everyone with Eyes sees what is going on and wants a fortune for their Python also. When the Big Dog is done buying all that we will be left with is a bunch of Overpriced Pythons....Sounds familiar doesn't it.

That 2.5" SST Python at $5755 has a fake box so I wouldn't worry to much about losing that one. Funny story about that auction though, I seen all the crazy fighting going on with it and realized Riverdodger had a nice clean 2.5" SST Python in a Real Box and the gun had not been sanded to the last inch of it's life like the first gun is so I ran over and did the deed:

Colt Python, 2 1/2", STS, : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Glad I underpaid (compared to the $5755 Junker) for it, I'm sure in the next 10 years it will Double or Triple in value :)

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Makes me appreciate the fact that my 2 Pythons were purchased over 2 years go just prior to the "huge" increase in pricing. Naturally I wish it had been 5 years prior but never look a gift horse in the mouth. I'm not selling so there's nothing but happiness that I got them when I did. None of my firearms were bought for investment purposes so at today's pricing my money is better spent on other Colt models that I fancy.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
There doesn't seem to be a method to his buying other than for investment purposes as Marc eluded to.It doesn't matter if they are LNIB,NIB or shooters he buys them all.D*

·
Registered
620 Posts
That 2.5" SST Python at $5755 has a fake box so I wouldn't worry to much about losing that one. Funny story about that auction though, I seen all the crazy fighting going on with it and realized Riverdodger had a nice clean 2.5" SST Python in a Real Box and the gun had not been sanded to the last inch of it's life like the first gun is so I ran over and did the deed)
Why do you think it's a fake box? It looks real to me.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
The Fake Labels are getting better and better but to the trained eye they are still off.

The Thread you are referring to is geared exactly for people like yourself who would be fooled by these. It is always a good idea to come to the Colt Forum for assistance before buying if you are in doubt to ensure you are getting what you are paying for.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There doesn't seem to be a method to his buying other than for investment purposes as Marc eluded to.It doesn't matter if they are LNIB,NIB or shooters he buys them all.D*
He's bought some really nice factory NIB packages along with some mismatched reproduction junk as well...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Greg was a Machine Gun Collector in the 70s and acquired a heck of a nice collection. His Investment has paid him back handsomely and he has decided it is time to freshen his inventory and has sold off some of his Full Auto Stock and is now turning it into Python Stock hoping that in the next 10+ years the investment will double or triple as the Automatic weapons did. It is awfully hard to outbid him when he is working on a 10 year plan. There is a bottom to the pit and it will eventually come to the surface and things will get back to normal except the price of Pythons will have doubled because everyone with Eyes sees what is going on and wants a fortune for their Python also. When the Big Dog is done buying all that we will be left with is a bunch of Overpriced Pythons....Sounds familiar doesn't it.

That 2.5" SST Python at $5755 has a fake box so I wouldn't worry to much about losing that one. Funny story about that auction though, I seen all the crazy fighting going on with it and realized Riverdodger had a nice clean 2.5" SST Python in a Real Box and the gun had not been sanded to the last inch of it's life like the first gun is so I ran over and did the deed:
Colt Python, 2 1/2", STS, : Revolvers at GunBroker.com
Glad I underpaid (compared to the $5755 Junker) for it, I'm sure in the next 10 years it will Double or Triple in value :)
He should stay with machine guns and diversify into the lower priced stuff. In the same ten year time span machine guns will outperform Pythons. But what's $43K anyway? In today's machine gun world that's two, yes two, Colt M16s with a few accessories. The HK stuff currently is on a huge upswing, but AC556s are still reasonably priced. Stainless shorty folders are just now breaking through the $10K ceiling. Go over to Machine Gun Price Guide for an eye opening experience and see if you don't agree.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
The label gives it away. That is all I will say in an open forum but would be happy to share more via PM if anyone is interested.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts