Colt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing through this forum some time ago and ran across this Heiser custom holster.

I thought this was a really neat rig but the flaps might be a bit of a challenge for my local
leather guy. He also told me some time ago that he really doesn't like to do laced edges.
I modified the design somewhat and this is what he turned out.

Red Material property Fashion accessory Leather Red Leather Fashion accessory

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
First of all, welcome to the Colt Forum. :)

I think your holster maker did an admirable job on this recreation of a Heiser Hoster. It's so good I would be temped to have him make something similar to this for my 1937 Colt 380 Hammerless, unless he wants to charge close to what an original would cost.
Very nicely done, please give him my compliments.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Very, very nice.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Nice looking work. Both the original and your recreation.However, doesn't the mag. get in the way or"crowd" the grip hand on the drawstroke? This is not meant to be critical, just another step in my ongoing education of 50 years or so of studying holster designs. Thanks and best regards, Nick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, it doesn't crowd my hand. However, I have thin fingers. But this was just an exercise in leatherwork. I plan to use this as a display piece rather than an actual everyday holster. What I didn't tell you was that when my leather guy first made this holster, he screwed it up. He didn't leave enough skirt to put the magazine pouch on. So he cut the skirt down and this is the result.

Handgun holster Starting pistol Gun Revolver Starting pistol Everyday carry Still life

This is the holster I plan to actually carry the pistol in.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Very nice work!

Seems to me though, that 'Flaps' and 'Bound Edges' would be just that much MORE fun and satisfying
to do!

I wonder why he does not wish to do them?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He mainly does knife sheaths. And very well I might add. One time I asked him to do a sheath with a rawhide laced edge to match an El Paso Saddlery hoster. He did it but said that he did not ever want to do another.
Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Handgun holster

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'm lucky enough to own the Heiser your very able leather man copied. He did a very fine job. I'm afraid that rawhide edge lacing is a dying art- I heard that the guy who did it for El Paso Saddlery retired or passed away and that they no longer offered that option. Don't know if that's true or not. Your guy did some fine work on that sheath.
Regards,
turnerriver

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Their website still shows the lacing option but does not specifically mention rawhide. I had that holster made five to eight years ago.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Mike Barranti of Barranti Leather still does the hand lacing on the edge. Beautiful stuff if you have the coin.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Heiser did some gorgeous work and your new rendition is beautiful as well. The old man has an old floral carved and whip laced edge holster for his High Standard that I would like to eventually copy. Never tried doing lacing with rawhide but I love the way it looks.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Similar set

Had a similar idea; Smith 38-44 HD, Eubanks holster with the lacing, and a new version from Bob Cooper.

Bought the Smith on the Colt Forum, and the Eubanks holster afterwards from the same seller on the S&W forum.......

rayb

Reactions: Malysh
1 - 17 of 17 Posts