Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my Nikon P-223 3-9X40 BDC 600 scope today and I didn't even buy it from "Cheaper Than Dirt." For $200 I don't think you can beat the quality. Zero it in and after that you just dial in the yardage you want. Nikon even has a program that sets up everything for you. You type in your scope, ammo and yardage and you get a chart you can print out and take to the range.

I also bought a bunch of steel targets from "ShootSteel.com". Don't need to waste time printing out paper targets anymore. I figure if I can hit a 5" or 8" steel target at 75-100 yds. that's good enough for me. I'll also get a lot of use out of them with my handguns.

Going to head out to the LGS tomorrow. Want to see what he's got in stock for Colt Ar-15s. He's been having a sale on 223/5.56 ammo and I've had an interest in a 9mm lately. I'm sure I'll be happy no matter what I come away with.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Too many decisions and not enough money......Had to feed my three "children" so ended up stocking up on ammo only. Didn't even look at any new AR-15's. Why torture yourself? I'm slowly learning to leave the plastic at home when visiting the LGS.

Took the red dot and magnifier off and mounted the scope. Can't even see the front sight through it. Not even a ghost! I wasn't disappointed with the red dot. The eyes just don't focus that well for anything over 75yds. The 3X magnifier wasn't all that great and the front sight was visible enough to distract me. I think I'll keep the 6920 just like it is now and when funds become available mount the red dot on something else. I see what you guys mean when you say K.I.S.S.

Gun Firearm Rifle Airsoft gun Air gun

Got some of the steel targets being painted in the background. Sorry for a somewhat low quality picture. Took it with the cellphone on a cloudy day. Got my Blue Force Vickers sling, Nikon P-223 scope and plenty of PMC 5.56 X-TAC ammo loaded in 30rd mags. Only thing missing is a large cheesesteak and some ice tea.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think Nikon has a very good scope with the 223. :D

Please keep us updated. A range report with pics would be awesome.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
As requested (?)...... Here are some better quality pics of my first outing using my new scope and some steel targets

Here's me posing at 100yds using a cheap TV table for support

Gun Shooting range Sport venue Firearm Rifle

Two pics of My LE6920

Gun Machine gun Soldier Shooting Optical instrument

Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Machine gun

Pics of our steel targets....Red ones are 1/4" in 5" and 8" round for small caliber White ones are 3/8" for .223 and above at minimum 100yds (5", 8", 10" round)

Plant Flower

Plant Rock

These are hits from my .22 mag wmr and .45 ACP. Sorry but neither are Colts. I was able to hit the 5" from 10yds about 60% of the time. Moving back to 25yds I was about 70% on the 8" and 90+% on the 10". Have to stop thinking about all the fun I'm having and maybe concentrate just a bit more......Yeah, That will be the day!

Reactions: Dave58

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are the white steel targets. My friends son and I were shooting our AR-15s using scopes at 100yds. The small dots on the white targets are from my friends wife shooting her .22 rifle using just the iron sights also from 100yds.

Wood Rock Circle

The black stand holding the 10" target with chains is getting destroyed from misses. There are several clean holes right through the tubing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts