Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum, this is my first post. My grandfather recently passed down to me a New Service in 38 WCF. I will add some pictures. I have two questions:
1) does anyone know much about them?
2) where can I find the serial no.s? I want to register it but fear if any of the serial no.s are missing it would be confiscated.
Thanks to all!
- Lucas

Attachments

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
The serial number is located on the inside of the frame. Open the cylinder and that exposed part just under the barrel is the serial number location.

Not sure where you live, but chances are you do not have to "register" the revolver.

From your photos, the condition appears very poor. Maybe not even in firing condition?

Bob Wright

·
Premium Member
19,471 Posts
Welcome to the Colt Forum. BobWright told you where to locate the serial number.
Your message seems to express concern about confiscation. If you can say in which State
or Country you live, I am sure we have members who also live in that state/country who
can offer you valuable advice.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum, this is my first post. My grandfather recently passed down to me a New Service in 38 WCF. I will add some pictures. I have two questions:
2) where can I find the serial no.s? I want to register it but fear if any of the serial no.s are missing it would be confiscated.
Thanks to all!
- Lucas
Hi Lucas, welcome to the Colt Forum!

Why would you want to "register" your old Colt, and with whom? Have you committed a crime with it?

If you're an American, your United States Constitution gives you the right to own that you know... Don't be so eager to give up that right!

nowinca

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Hi everyone,
Thanks to all!
- Lucas
Please add some more images showing the whole Revolver.

We LOVE the old "New Service' Colts, and, 38 40 is one of my favorite Cartridges.

Some jurisdictions require Registration even if most do not.

Here in California, in effect, one is obliged to 'Register' Hand Guns, for one example...or it ends up that way, even if indirectly.

Las Vegas Nevada used to require it and had since the early 1930s, but, they finaly gave it up not too long ago.

·
Registered
939 Posts
35 years ago I had a 7 1/2" NS in .38-40. It was in about 95% condition. I shot it a few times, but wound up trading it away as ammo was expensive and brass, dies and bullets were hard to come by. :(

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Was the inside of the frame the only ice they had serial numbers? It says 1879 on one spot too
Open the Cylinder.

Look at the two surfaces then which are right next to the Hinge Knuckle of the Crane.

Serial Number will be on both surfaces there...one suface belonging to the Frame proper, the other belonging to the Crane.

Serial Number may also be present on the inside of the Side Plate.

Otherwise, that is it...those are the only locations of the Serial Number for the Colt New Service.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Looking at the patent date on your barrel picture, you have a very early New Service. The serial number could be 1879.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts