Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for grips for my large new service .45 .. frame is long with flat butt, pat.#s1884,1905,1926 are stamped on the bbl., this gun was carried from 1928 until 1948 by my uncle on the DesMoines,Ia police dept..I want to try a modern grip but haven't seen any info as to what will fit this old piece. please advise..

·
Premium Member
9,517 Posts
Welcome to the forum fellow Iowan. (I presume you know that you snowbirds who are not tough enough to take the winters are looked down on by those of us who are. :D)

In Colt language, you want "stocks." (Bicycles have "grips." Colts have "stocks.") What do you mean by a "modern grip?" Do you mean something like rubber Pachmayr stocks? Those are scarce and will be described as for the "Colt Army." (I presume that description is based on the fact that the majority of New Service revolvers are military Models of 1917.) Perhaps there were other aftermarket stocks in the past, but I do not recall any. Perhaps someone else will recall another aftermarket source.

If you are looking for reproductions of the hard rubber stocks used on earlier New Service revolvers, those are available, but I doubt that is what you mean by "modern grip."

Presumably, your example still has its original stocks, which should be checkered wood by 1928. If so, you will want to retain those to keep the revolver original, and use the aftermarket stocks only for shooting.

If this does not adequately address your request, please inquire further.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I bought Siles wood stocks for my New Service. They came from Numrich, their item number 981160.

·
Premium Member
9,517 Posts
what size pachmayr or other rubber "handles"fit the .45 new service
Again I say, in proper Colt speak, the correct term is "stocks," not "handles" or "grips." As mentioned in my first post, the correct Pachmayr application will be those identified as "Colt Army." They have been out of production for years, so the used market and auction sites such as eBay will be the only source. I am not aware of any other brand of rubber stocks for the New Service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts