Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
7,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Service 455 Eley 4.5\"

I've had this one quite awhile . Mfg 1916 . I thought being a commercial gun , it was unusual in that caliber / barrel combination considering most were made in 5.5" and were going to the British military .

[This message has been edited by guy sajer (edited 08-21-2004).]

·
Registered
72 Posts
Re: New Service 455 Eley 4.5\"

Where do you even buy ammo for that gun? Is .455 Colt/Webley/Eley even made by anyone other than Fiochcci? Do you reload for it?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

I probably shoot 500-1000 reloads in .455 per year,in a Triple Lock,2nd Model H.E.and a "civilian" .455,like Guys,only with a the more "common" 5.5" bbl. Fiocchi still makes .455,but it is Mk.II-the Shorter case introduced when smokeless came in. Ammo usually runs $40 per box! The best case to use,is the longer .455 Mk. I. The best source for this,is the splendid Canadian made,Dominion .455 Colt. While it hasnt been made in years,us "Mainers" are close to Canada. But its pricey; $50-60 per box. The cases last forever,unless you foolishly try & make a "magnum" out of them! Cases are also available from Huntingtons & Graf Bros,but these are in the Mk.II,or shorter case. For years Ive used .455 sized Remington hollow bases,with great results,but with the advent of .454 sized bullets(again!) for "cowboys",there is a wider selection than 10 years ago. The Colts.452-454 bore cant handle my favorite bullets though. These are .457 sized 300 gr. for the .45/70! Not a lot of penetration,but what a whack! The 2 S&Ws handle em fine,with .456-.457 bores. The .455 doesnt strain my guns,or my 60 + year old hands & wrists,and your still shooting "big bores". In fact,I just bought another .455 S&W cylinder,for my 2nd Model S&W,that had been converted to .45 Colt. With a "wondersight",trigger shoe,the old Canadian issued S&W was doing 1 1/2" at 25 yards,with .457 sized 255 Keiths & 5.5 of Unique in the "long case",or about an inch better than with same load in the .45 Colt cylinder. Its a shame so many fine old Colts and S&Ws(and Webleys) were "ground down" for the .45 auto & auto/rim. Collector value wrecked! Bud

·
Registered
41 Posts

What a beautiful old NS. It should shoot like a dream. Thank you for sharing the NS is always a pleasure to observe.

CIL in Canada still making ammo for the 455 and is it available on this side of the line?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

Dominion,or CIL (Canadian Industries Ltd.) is long gone.One internet search listed 1966-67 as the end of ammo mfg. but another gave it in the 1980's under "Imperial" Brand. It is still available,thanks to the anti gun attitude of the Canadian Govt.( I swear,the Riel Rebellion 100+ years ago,and the separatist movement in P.Q.scared the crap out of the politicians in this once "gun friendly nation".) Yeah,Bronco 45,being close to the border in Idaho helps,but we are pretty close here in Maine! Not like the good old days in the 50s and 60s,when it was easy to do some "international gun and ammo trading",all fully legal! A friend bought several .455 New Services that the "Mounties" were surplusing off. The kept the later production .45 Colt N.S. a little longer. STILL HAVE NEVER HAD A "VALID" ANSWER TO AS WHY THEY SWITCHED CALIBERS around 1920????? Bud

·
Administrator
7,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the kind words . I have a few more New Services that I'll get posted soon .
Yes , I also reload for .455 . Though I don't shoot anywhere near the amount that Bud does . (Thanks for the reloading tips Bud . I made some notes.)
I also have a British proofed with inscribed back strap WWI NS in .455 as well as a Webley MKVI . It's a great caliber !

[This message has been edited by guy sajer (edited 08-27-2004).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts