Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While at the Houston Gun Show this weekend, I saw many 1909's and New Service commercial Revolvers on the Tables. While this was not a Surprise to me I did see one of the commercial models chambered in .44 Russian.
Does anyone know anything about these--how many were produced and when etc.?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The .44 Russian was one of the original chamberings for the New Service in 1898. In 1913,5 years after the introduction of the ,44 Special by S&W in their "triple lock",Colt lengthened the chambers and marked the barrels after that time ".44 Russian & S&W Special". This lasted right up until then end of production in WW.II,even though few users chose the shorter Russian cartridge. Many older new Services(1898-1913) were "rechambered" from the Russian to the Special,probably damaging their collector value somewhat.I have a 1905 N.S. Target,all original(and a superb shooter for a century old) that has had this "modification". Hope this helps. Bud

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, check out my classified ad in the Colt section for it...Newservice Russian S&W Special 44 barrel and cylinder...Old but like new, never used, perfect original factory blued parts with no numbers.

Kind of extremely rare like hard to find in this new condition.

44and45

1 - 3 of 3 Posts