Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for the learned.

I ran across a New Service the other day the leaves me wondering.

Barrel is marked Colt DA .45. No USP marks under the barrel. Half moon sight.

No Lanyard loop nor hole and filler screw you see on some.

Instead of the Monogram, an Eagle head S15 proof.

Grips are the smooth walnut.

I think they were trying to give away half moon clips, so .45ACP, maybe?

Yes, I forgot to get the seriel number, but it was inside the crane area. No numbers or designation on the butt.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Brian

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
First,welcome to the Forum,Brian. My guess is that this gun is a standard 1917 that has been reblued,with the under bbl. U.S. Property markings removed,the army butt markings removed,lanyard hole plugged,ground smooth,then reblued. Many people did not like owning guns with "property" marks on them,and the lanyard ring was considered "useless and in the way" by some.

The gun is NOT,from your description one of the 1000 or so "Civilian 1917s" built in the 1932 period. These also have no govt. markings,no lanyard ring(or hole) but have "Colt Model 1917 .45 Auto. Ctge." on the bbl. instead of the Colt DA 45. They are all in the 335000-336000 serial number range. Original grips were checkered walnut w/silver Colt medallions. They are "scarce".

So many of the 1917s were surplused in the 1950s & 60's at low prices that many were converted to various configurations,calibers,and "refinished",that originals are difficult to find. I have seen far more Colt 1917s having "alterations",than the S&W 1917s,that were made in the roughly same numbers;seems as if there were many surplus New Service parts.Hope this is of some help. Bud

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Bud.

I knew it wasn't a Civvie model for those reasos. I've read all 39 pages of the Revolver Forum.

I thought the butt markings were pretty deeply struck and a weld/plud would show under new blue?

It mystifies me the lengths that people went to to remove Property marks. I guess these are as vulnerable as 1911's.

Brian

[This message has been edited by PZ93C (edited 04-09-2005).]

[This message has been edited by PZ93C (edited 04-09-2005).]

·
Registered
909 Posts
Another clue would be the front sight. Every original New Service that I have seen has the distinctive "shark fin" (my terminology) front sight, so a half moon would indicate some type of alteration. HTH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts