Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently taken out a New Service I inherited from my Dad years ago. Thanks to the membership here, I now know a great deal more about this fine old revolver I'm so proud to own. However, I need a good, economical holster that fits the gun .... are there any out there? The gun is .45 Colt with a 5.5" barrel.

Thanks so much ...

PsTaN

·
Registered
446 Posts
I use this one:
Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol Airsoft gun
Honestly, I'm not sure if it's even made anymore. It's a S&W, item number 22-26LH, for a 6 1/2" N Frame. Obviously, mine's lefty. My dad got it in about '76. It fits nearly every handgun I own.

Also, mine fits in pretty much everything I have for my SAA. It can get a little difficult to find holsters specifically made for these long discontinued Colts.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,513 Posts
I would search Gunbroker and Ebay for a period holster such as Heiser. Nothing looks better that a holster that was made in the same time period. Just my opinion.

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
Since most companies don't make holsters to fit the old large frame New Service, you're going to be limited as to availability and "economical" may not be possible.

There are several options. If you'd like a military style flapped holster, El Paso Saddlery and Pacific Canvas & Leather make replicas.
The El Paso is a absolute top quality replica, the PC&L is made in China and is of fair quality.

For a commercial holster, again El Paso Saddlery offer a variety of both modern CCW and 1920's and 30's period type holsters that would be appropriate for the New Service, are top quality holsters, and not as expensive as some others.
Among the period holsters that would be excellent are the Tom Threepersons, 1920 Crossdraw, #2 Thumb break, 1930 Austin, #5 Patton ,and the 1917 military.

El Paso Saddlery - Holsters

Chinese made replica US military holsters:

Pacific Canvas & Leather Co. Inc. |  www.pacificcanvasandleather.com

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
I recently made this one for a forum member's 5 1/2" New Service. It could be made with out the back skirt and just a folded over belt loop, too. "Economical" to me is digging through junk boxes at gun stores and finding an old Hunter holster. But that's a hard gun to find a holster for that easily.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
The meaning of 'economical" is whatever a person's mind thinks it is. In holsters my LGS has a box of them you choose what you like for $5. Having one made less than $100 can be economical which is about what I paid Wyatt Burb to make this one for me. It's for a 3" barrel New Service. Same design for a longer barrel just means a little more leather and work time & a little more money. Anyhow, I like it and thinking about another one ------

Another pix, another gun, same holster ------

·
Registered
136 Posts
From a post I made a few months ago, you just never know what you might find.

New 1917 holster
Just had to show off pics of my latest aquisition. A good friend is a prison chaplin, and the guys inside are always looking for projects to keep them busy (and they earn like 5$ for their commisary account). He had told me one of the men he ministers to was a fantastic leather crafter and made holsters for several of the guards. I ask him if it would be possible for him to make something for me and he said they didn't advertise it, but it was fine with prison administration. I gave him a picture of an old Tom Threepersons holster I had stashed for years in a magazine because I loved the cut and style of it, along with a tracing of my Colt 1917, and this is what he built. It hurt him when I ask for plain (no floral or basket weeve) but it fits like a glove.

Not too shabby for $80.00, huh.​

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
I reckon I need a New Service to offer holsters for them. Right now I'm limited to N-frames and Redhawks and I reckon the New Service is somewhere in the middle.

View attachment 43557
Depending on how good a 'fit' you want, my N-frames work well in the same holster made for New Service, just a little less snug. I won't hesitate to use it for a N-frame - the hammer loop making it secure enough. I'm sure long New Service usage & wear-in, the N-frame difference would be more.

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
I'd get the El Paso Saddlery (or an original) full flap military style. It isn't a fast draw holster, but it will protect the gun very well if you walk or ride in brush, like I do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. I have been leaning towards a military flap style holster. "Economical" didnt mean poor quality - it meant I got twins in college. LOL :)

Thanks much!!

PsTaN

·
Registered
249 Posts
You can do a search for a Colt 1917 military holster on E-Bay. There are leather repro's buy it now from $32.95 to $42.95. Hope this helps. Dennis

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
If economics is a major factor, look at the Uncle Mikes nylon holsters. They are not made pistol specific, but there are holsters for large frame revolvers, some with flaps to cover the pistol. No thing of beauty, but if you just want to carry the pistol occasionally they work fine and are inexpensive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Once again .... thanks for all the responses. I appreciate all the help and suggestions.

PsTaN

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would also consider a quality wide gunbelt for carrying a weapon of this size. Or you could eliminate that expense by buying an El Paso Saddlrey M1942 chest holster.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts