Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is one of the WWI British Commonwealth contract .455's . Std features . It has an inscription on the backstrap that I've been curious about . It's marked with the gentleman's name followed by MC . I can only guess . Medical Corp ? VC is Victoria Cross I believe . Someone mentioned that enlisted men weren't awarded the VC . Maybe an enlisted man's award ?

Your thoughts ? Thanks !

·
Registered
594 Posts
Mitch:

"M.C." stands for Military Cross. The Military Cross was a British award to junior officers for gallantry in action. The following is something I pulled off the web that gives a more detailed description.

"The British Military Cross was instituted on 28 December 1914 as a means of formally recognising the courage of junior officers during wartime (officially for "gallantry in the field" for Captains and below).

In this way the Military Cross complemented the Military Medal which was awarded to servicemen below officer rank.

Also available was an additional award of a Bar to the Military Cross to recognise further acts of gallantry. Such silver bars were worn above the ribbon.

Until the institution of the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) in June 1918 many officers of comparable rank within the air service were similarly awarded the Military Cross in recognition of their daring aerial exploits.

From 1931 the MC (as it was known) was also awarded to Majors. Although recipients were not initially permitted to list the letters MC after their name this restriction was subsequently withdrawn.

Awards of the MC were announced in the London Gazette along with a citation, other than for those awarded as part of New Year or Birthday honours. Some 37,081 MCs were awarded during the First World War, plus 2,992 first Bars, 176 second Bars and 4 third Bars."

Is the revolver yours? It is very interesting and historical. If you have not done already I suggest that you make the effort to learn more about Mr. Keighley and his exploits in the Great War. There is an amazing amount of information available on WW1 soldiers in Commonwealth service.

Can you post a close up or two of the military markings on your NS? A very nice piece there!

Charlie Flick

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Mitch,

M.C. Might be "Military Cross" ... My Son-In-law's Grandfather won one for action in the trenches in WW I.

Try typing in "British Military Service Records Wold War I" in google... It will bring up the British military records - Army ... you can go there and see if your guy is listed. You might also try the Imperial War Museum... they have a good research unit too...

Hope you and your family have a Very Merry Christmas!
Bob Best

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Charlie,

Try Googling British Military Records WW I ... Great archive info!

I would like to wish you and your family and Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year also...
Take care,
Bob Best

·
Administrator
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Charlie & Bob
Thanks for the wealth of info . I'm at work now , but I'll get to work later on the google search . See what turns up /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The NS is mine . I bought it from a dealer friend about 10 yrs ago . I'll try and get some close ups soon and post them .

Thanks for the link John . Looks like some good very interesting reading . I'll definately check it out .

·
Administrator
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's some close-ups .

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Just have to ask, did they stamp it enough? Love the "NOTENGLISHMAKE". Amazing. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
594 Posts
Mitch: Thanks for the effort on the close up pics. Good shots on a great gun! Let us know what you find out about Mr. Keighley.

Charlie Flick

·
Registered
41 Posts
Great pictures. Interesting bit of history.
I own a Lee-Enfield NoI MkIII .303 made in 1919
Can't help to wonder where it has been in it's long life.
(and yes, it has A LOT of inspection stamps /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

·
Administrator
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, the British were not shy about an abundance of proofs .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts