Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently purchased a colt new service in 45 colt. lockup is perfect in single action but won't fully lock up when i pull the trigger double action. any ideas? if nothing else i need the contact info for a good gunsmith for the pre war colts. thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Great purchase! Sure would like to see a photo or two along with a hint of the first three digits of the serial number for dating purposes. Thanks for joining.

The smart Colt 'smiths will be along shortly but until then I'd say it is a worn hand and/or ratchet, likely the hand. Don't despair, help will come along. You got a great Colt model when you acquired that one. My personal favorite and the Colt revolver model I've shot most. Mine are worn but so far trouble-free.

Have you given it a really good cleaning? Gotten the decades of gunk out of its innards and given it fresh lubrication. That may not set it right but sometimes it's amazing what a good cleaning and lubrication can do for balky old Colt double-action revolvers. I swear I've heard 'em purring afterward.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Do you mean that the cylinder in DA does not turn far enough to lock up or that the cyl-stop doesn't rise into place to hold the cyl in battery position for firing? If lockup is perfect in SA, perfect meaning that when cocked very slowly that the cyl goes fully to battery with the cyl-stop, providing the hammer at full cock is about as far back as it can be (no more than 1/32" gap between the thiumbpiece and the frame) your hand-hammer-trigger are not likely your problem.

I once had a failure-to-lock-in-battery issue I traced to where the cyl-stop trips off the rebound lever. Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts