Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my tool I use for the New Service mainspring. It works well on 1917s and earlier. Haven't been inside late NSs. I arrived at the dimensions by "cut and try". You may be able to improve on them. I made it out of desperation trying with pliers, scratching the spring, etc. No problem since.

To remove a mainspring, the tapered end is stuck between the elbow end of the spring and the rebound lever. With it straddling the spring you slide it up toward the hammer end. After the link is freed, at the end of the spring you turn it (or lean it) so that it holds the spring compressed between the jaws of your tool.

You can then carefully lift out the spring just by the tool alone. I leave it that way till I'm ready to put it back in. To keep handling from knocking it loose and sending it off into the blue yonder, I put it in a little plastic envelope.

To install a spring with it the first time, the reverse of above works but it takes a little more care putting it on the spring than when the spring is in the gun.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Nice idea!

And would be a snap to make too.

Possibly Parallel Jaw Slim-long-Nose Pliers would be good, if one could find them somewhere.

I have some various Parallel Jaw Pliers but they are all rather heavy or stubby and or are not 'Needle Nose' types good for reaching 'in' to tight places.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Good idea for a tool.

I've been using a rough piece of leather and a medium hemostat for V-spring removal/replacement.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Very clever. I've been using something similar to coltstar and this looks much simpler.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts