Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Continuing to build my collection of Top Line Colt Double Action Revolvers, I am considering a Shooting Master in .38 special. I have my 1917 Army's,pythons and prewar Detective Specials but I understand that the Shooting Master was something special from Colt. Can anyone with firsthand knowledge or experience tell me the advantages of the Shooting master or compare it to normal New Service or similar Smith & Wessons.

I know they had adjustable sights and a slightly reduced grip size and am more interested in any internal differences.

As always, thanks to you real experts.

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
I am NOT a "real expert," and I do not even play one on television, or anywhere else for that matter. With apologies to those who ARE real experts, I will fill this space until one comes along.

The Shooting Master was intended to be as fine a revolver as Colt could build at the time it was in production. Presumably, this meant it was fitted and assembled by the best fitters at Colt. That extra attention to detail probably accounts for the fact that the Shooting Master was the most expensive gun in the Colt commercial line, even more expensive than the nearly identical New Service Target.

As far as "internal differences," the difference would be in the fitting and tuning being as good as Colt could make it, rather than just standard production within the range of "acceptable."

The "slightly reduced grip size" probably is meant to describe the standard round butt on the Shooting Master. However, if someone preferred the slightly larger square butt, that could be ordered on any Shooting Master.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts