Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was looking at some old Colts I have stuck away in my safe, and once again puzzled over the letters WCC neatly and professionally stamped behind the trigger guard on a .45 Colt New Service (343xxx, 5" barrel, lanyard ring). Any theories what these letters might stand for? Probably just someone's initials. . . but ya never know.

BA
p.s. By coincidence part of my email address has the letters wcc--no connection.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
greetings from snowy new york , just a stab in the dark , but perhaps Western Cartridge Company , ammo mnufacturing companies used forearms for testing

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hi Bill,

How about Western Costume Company...This prop company was formed by Fox, MGM and Paramount Studios to rent them props for movies. The WCC was liquidated in the early 1960s...

Bob Best

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob,

That's another interesting theory. Would they use real, functioning guns as props?

Best,
Bill

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I took a "quick" look through Wilson & Sutherland under "roll markings" in each section on D.A. revolvers,and could find nothing. But those lists are not complete. Good point,rj,about Western Cartridge Company,as Murphy states that 2 of the last New Services assembled were shipped out in 1954!! To Remington & Winchester,I think to test .45 auto ammo. My first thought was a "W" state,followed by Conservation Commission,as some states called their "warden service" that,but I would suspect that those guns would also have a separate property number on them? Bud

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill A:
Bob,

That's another interesting theory. Would they use real, functioning guns as props?

Best,
Bill
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Bill,
Yes... The studios used real guns as props... they used the big calibers to fire the 5 in 1 blanks used in the movies... I've had a few of the prop company guns over the years and I recently purchased two of the USFA guns used in the movie "Shanghi Noon"... They were the ones used in the train robbery scene. Got the paperwork and all with them... Take care, Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts