Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local sporting goods chain has a New Service revolver on the shelf that appears to be unfired.

Unfortunately it has been there for better than a year and the employee(s) that remove it from the display case to put it in the vault every night haven't been too careful, it now has numerous small scratches and dings all over the barrel and upper edges of the frame from hitting the edges of the display case.

I'm thinking it's now more of a shooter than a collectable and they have recently reduced the price from $1000 to $850.

I have no real experience with the New Service revolvers, but I'm feeling that $850 is still too much for it, am I right?

Also, when was it made? It's a blue, 6", .45 Colt, with black rubber grips and a lanyard ring, serial number 1492xx.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well, someone else will get you the year. But I can tell you that my Colt Improved New Service in 45acp is one of the very best shooters I own. And it's tight as the day it was made.

The price on them has been steadily going up over the last few years. That seems strong but then there just aren't all that many of them out there.

------------------
I'm so worried about what's hapenin' today, in the middle east, you know.
And I'm worried about the baggage retrieval system they've got at Heathrow.
I'm so worried about the fashions today, I don't think they're good for your feet.
And I'm so worried about the shows on TV that sometimes they want to repeat.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
That NS was made in 1918 of WWI vintage.
In my opinion that price is way low, if it is not dinged up too bad.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's important to know whether it's genuinely "as new" or if it's been refinished. An unfired mint condition New Service will probably go for at least $1,000. If it's been reblued, cut that figure in half. Even a New Service that has been fired a lot will still lock up tight. Where the wear usually shows up first is around the crane or yoke area. Using gentle force, try and move the ejector rod left and right with the cylinder closed. Look to see if the gap between the crane and the frame increases and decreases as you do this. An unfired New Service will show no noticeable movement. The more they've been fired, the more this movement will be apparent.

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
A true "unfired" NS of 1918 vintage is worth a LOT more than $850. I cannot imagine being so careless with a highly collectable gun as to damage it merely handling it daily. I suspect it is not really "unfired," but rather a reblue, or someone would have bought it long ago.

Most any NS that is said to be "unfired" will likely be a reblue and/or modified like the one Richard2003 has. It is amazing to see what has been done to some guns!

·
Registered
33 Posts
See my post and link to my New Service above.
Am I asking a fair price for it?
It has been altered with sights and a newer ejctor rod and the lanyard ring is missing.
It does have a low serial number under 15000.
If I can't get what I am asking for it I will just keep it as a shooter as it is a very good one.

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
Richard2003 asks for input on the value of his modified New Service. Are you sure you want that input, Richard2003? Here I go, but I hope you will not be offended.

I hesitate to run someone's gun down, but a highly modified, poorly reblued gun like Richard2003's has almost no value to me. (The value would be in parts only, and the only parts that possibly remain original are the stocks, if they are not modified or reproductions.) Richard2003 states the gun has 80% blue but has been modifed with sights and a new ejector rod, and that the lanyard ring is missing. From the picture, the blue certainly does not look original so the percent of original finish is zero, not 80%. The markings mentioned did not "wear" away. They were ground away in a poor reblue attempt.

However, I see modified guns sell on some of the auction sites, some for very high prices, but I suspect that may be because some ignorant bidders think they are original. (Such cases ususally involve refinished guns that look new to those not familiar with the correct appearance of the original finish.) I doubt that anyone would mistake Richard2003's NS for original, but some people like the "silk purse/sow's ear" approach and may be attracted to the gun. That they would pay $450 for the gun seems highly unlikely to me, but who knows? It takes all kinds.

In my opinion, the value of the early serial number and frame style are destroyed by the modifications and poor refinish. I would place its value at $125-$150 because almost anything that shoots is worth in that range to buyers who cannot afford better and want something that goes bang.

If the stocks have not been modified and are not reproductions, they could bring close to a hundred to someone who needed them for an early NS.

Richard2003, I hope you are not offended by my analysis of your gun, but you asked for opinions on its value. I gave you mine for what it is worth. Anyone else want to comment or venture an estimate?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I completely agree with JudgeColt, tho' could imagine someone who wanted a shooter paying a little more--25 or 50 bucks--for it. The gun has no value whatsoever to a collector or to a discriminating buyer of old Colts.

Bill A

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks. Now I know.
It is fun to shoot and is quite accurate.
So I will have fun with it and not worry about the condition anymore.

Richard

1 - 12 of 12 Posts