Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Administrator
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Community Members,

Over the past year or two, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software this site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. Our advertising experience and certain ad partners have further degraded the functionality of the site. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this ultimate user experience to all members.

We will be implementing a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well, and loads faster on all devices, while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn’t seem correct once the site goes live, don’t panic! We’ll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.

What’s next?

I bet you’re thinking, “What does this mean for me and the community?” It does mean change, but it will help solve a large majority of the issues that this site may have been experiencing. We have reviewed reported issues, site statistics, traffic data, and user feedback to help us prioritize the changes and improvements. Uploading an image or video will be easier and streamlined. Ad formatting will change with a new site layout. The site will be more responsive - there is no need to use a mobile skin or special app! Security and user privacy will continue to be a top priority.

When will this be happening? Soon! We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You’ll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration. Once the migration begins, the site will go into maintenance mode and will be read-only while data is being migrated.

We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Cricket and Your Community Team

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I understand updating requirements and the reasons sound great however, last time it took me a long time to reestablish my user name and password.
In fact I wasn't a participant for almost a full year.
Not looking for another issue with that again.
Bill
Yeah I need a new password about as much as I need a bout of Corona Virus.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Seems to me we didn't have problems until we were purchased by our "friends" to the north. As I said many months ago, this isn't about us and our experience it's about advertising. I saw this coming when the ads started. READ ONLY???:bang_wall: In a time when most of us are stuck at home and appreciate the diversion our forum provides, how STUPID do you have to be to stop all contributions and interaction for a prolonged and indeterminate period of time.:mad: If we half to start over on a "new platform" why not take our ball and go play somewhere else?
I said it before, WE ARE THE FORUM. Without our contributions, content and clicks which directly affect advertising revenue, this place is simply an empty hole in the web.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Seems to me we didn't have problems until we were purchased by our "friends" to the north. As I said many months ago, this isn't about us and our experience it's about advertising. I saw this coming when the ads started. READ ONLY???:bang_wall: In a time when most of us are stuck at home and appreciate the diversion our forum provides, how STUPID do you have to be to stop all contributions and interaction for a prolonged and indeterminate period of time.:mad: If we half to start over on a "new platform" why not take our ball and go play somewhere else?
I said it before, WE ARE THE FORUM. Without our contributions, content and clicks which directly affect advertising revenue, this place is simply an empty hole in the web.
Then you can buy it and set up the advertising and underlying software infrastructure anyway you like. I know change is hard for some but that is the only constant in life.

·
Registered
523 Posts
In my previous “life” before retirement, I had line responsibility for 8 websites in the company. I rapidly “learned” from the responsible site administrators the difficulty of maintaining these sites and the blessings and challenges of diverse users never mind a platform change... Therefore, please accept my thanks for all you do. This site is heads and shoulders among others and I’m sure it will be even better once you have made the transition. THANK YOU!

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
. Once the migration begins,
the site will go into maintenance mode and will be read-only while data is being migrated.
We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community
and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Cricket and Your Community Team
I might not be here when you get back...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Then you can buy it and set up the advertising and underlying software infrastructure anyway you like. I know change is hard for some but that is the only constant in life.

Seems to me like you have plenty of time on your hands. You probly liked all that Hope and Change a bunch of years back too. Rick's point was a good one! Your answer wasn't!!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Seems to me like you have plenty of time on your hands. You probly liked all that Hope and Change a bunch of years back too. Rick's point was a good one! Your answer wasn't!!
Nice try! :) Anyway I am done on this thread. Bunch of whining going on and it is not Going To change One Thing no matter how much blustering and threatening to take your toys and go elsewhere. Sorry but software and hardware requirements change and yes the older folks have more issues dealing with it but it is necessary. Just accept it and resolve to make the best of it.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Nothing lasts forever and change can be good. The 1911 has endured, but even it has changes that make it better. The 1911A1 came about as changes, not to mention the modern clones such as Ed Brown. We are moving more and more into an on line world. The Virus as pushed us deeper into the Amazonian world. In recent years I have found myself buying car parts on line, something I never thought would happen. Yes, I still have my IBM Think Pad from the '90s and my Bag Phone, but I don't think they will make a comeback. The best we can do is roll with the digital punches.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Dave,

You're entitled to your opinion as are we all. I understand you haven't been around much in the seven years you've been registered so you may not know that we try to be respectful to each other. How about this, if you can't say something nice, go say it somewhere you're opinion has at least some regard. While you're gone may I suggest some light reading...

·
Registered
564 Posts
Dave,

You're entitled to your opinion as are we all. I understand you haven't been around much in the seven years you've been registered so you may not know that we try to be respectful to each other. How about this, if you can't say something nice, go say it somewhere you're opinion has at lease some regard.
I do not threaten the site like you do. Something to think about there while blustering. :) Nothing respectful about what you posted actually came across as threatening. Good Day to you sir. You say "lease" above yes I do negotiate quite a few but what does that have to with the subject? :) Spell Check (gets me as well occasionally) is one of those bad technological things like the requirement to upgrade hardware and software for website hosting. :)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.