Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday a dream came true. I picked up a NIB Colt Anaconda with a 6inch barrel. I've got some Colt 1911's but don't have much experience with revolvers as I've only had Smith's. How does the Anaconda compare with it's counterpart the 629? And it is a tough as it looks?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,889 Posts
The Anaconda was after my time, but it's basically an expanded King Cobra.

The Anaconda just MIGHT be the strongest .44 Magnum gun of them all, due to Colt's superior forged and heat treated frames and cylinders.

In a direct comparison between the S&W 629 and the Anaconda, I'd give at least an edge to the Colt on strength.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I owned a Colt Anaconda 4" for about 13 yrs. after getting one shortly after they became available. I shot it occasionallyand compared it's velocity and accuracy performance to Smith and Ruger. I concluded the Anaconda consistently produced lower velocities than other makers' 4" guns. Accuracy was roughly comparable but I didn't enjoy shooting it. I scrubbed it up and recently had an opportunity to trade it for a 4" Model 29 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifNo need to guess what I did. To me it is a bull-strong and serviceable weapon that has no aesthetic appeal.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The .45 Colt Anaconda can shoot the loads rated for Rugers (I have run some thru mine). They are quite strong revolvers.

·
Registered
778 Posts
My 45 ultimate polished 6" Anaconda would be one of the last revolvers I would ever part with. Big ole thing is an attention getter at the range!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts