Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening! After spending my whole life focused on 20th Century weapons, a trip out west has me interested in the mid to late 19th century, however, I am very gun shy (pun intended!) about historic old arms that can cost a fortune or are often "manipulated." I look forward to learning more here.

I saw two, interesting and, in my novice/untrusted opinion, reasonably prices guns at a gunshow today. An 1849 London Pocket Revolver ($850) with poor finish and, what I believe is an 1862 Pocket Navy Conversion ($675) with decent finish. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Like, I said, I know NOTHING about these but the pocket conversion really intrigues me. I thought it was missing a loading gate, but apparently not.

If anyone can help me determine, as I continue to research, whether I need to run back and snag one of them tomorrow, I'd appreciate it!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
There will be others along who can give you much more specific advice than can I, but the first thing I'd advise you to do is take a deep breath and read a good book on the Colts that interest you. There are lots of good examples out there, and you stand a much better chance of getting one if you've learned something about them beforehand. Welcome to the Forum and good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Exactly the kind of advice I need! LOL. I know a great deal on other firearms, and get rabid about research. I was a bit unprepared for these though. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Colt Forum. If you do not get sufficient advice here on these guns, the more knowledgeable hang-out is where Kerz, above, posted. Thanks for joining us!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Remember, if you want "old west" history in your hand, a London Colt is probably not what you want. Even though some unsold ones were shipped back to the states.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, good point on the London and I did post in the percussion forum as well.

Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts