Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to aquire a 1978 (the owner volunteered this) blued 6" DB for about $950 here in California. I noted it had rubber grips and a blue two latch plastic box that looks like it was made for it. From the photos I've seen the finish looks good and the owner said he was the second owner and he said it hadn't been shot much. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Colts. Is this a fair price that's being asked? IMG_1907.jpg

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
That box is newer than 1978 and would have an outer white picture cardboard box. Grips are also wrong but price is a decent one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because of Labor Day being tomorrow I'll be getting it Tuesday if the inspection is good. Pictures tell a lot but not everything...
About what year did Colt start using those blue plastic cases?

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
Colt started with that case style with outer sleeve in 1990 and continued until sometime in late 1996. Box is not original to gun, but would bring $50 pretty fast by itself. Sounds like a great price on the DB, that is the only barrel length of the 3 different lengths made where the 38 is just as desirable (and scarcer) than the 22.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The Diamondback is a great revolver and I would buy it at that price. Be aware that if you want to find an original pair of wood stocks for it, it will be difficult and set you back $200 or so. I would sell off the non original box to help offset the cost of the stocks.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
950 in CA isn't too bad I reckon. You will want to get the rubber off and put some wood shoes on her like so:

1978 Diamondback 4"

1978 Colt Diamondback (1024x575).jpg

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
Wow! About $200 for grips? Like I mentioned, I'm new to Colts and have a lot to learn apparently! :)
Yes for a real nice set, $200 it is or maybe a little more. Pythons are even worse, like 250+ for a really nice set. By the way unfortunately the grips on it are only worth about $10 that is if you can find someone looking for a set. I don't even try to sell them anymore (Pachmeyers without the medallions), when I do get a set which isn't often since I mainly only buy nib/lnib now, I just throw them in a drawer and give a set to a buddy once in awhile.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I took possesion of the Diamondback today. After taking a look at it I would say it's a very easy 97-98%. The rubber grips were removed and it looked like it had been quite awhile since anyone had taken them off but everything looked good. The screws weren't buggered up and I was truly impessed with the fit and finish. What really did impress me was the trigger pull, I've got a Ruger sp101 and compared to that the Diamondback was like butter. If this is typical of Colts I can see why they're desired so much! I'll post pictures when the Diamondback gets out of 10 day jail here in CA. The serial number is R544xx, is that a 1978 manufacture? Thanks for all the input.

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
According to my pocket guide which is basically from TBOCF 3rd edition, some R prefix guns were shipped in 1978, but some of the last DBs shipped were R prefix also. It does not give your range, so call 1800962COLT during business hours and they will tell you for sure. I would do this before trying to acquire grips so you would know what to get. By the way is it 22 or 38? I'm guessing 38.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Nice looking Diamondback! Nothing nicer than factory wood stocks, though many of them seem to be mis-matched, regarding wood grain and shade of stain.

I remember showing some friends My (then) brand new Colt Diamondback in early Dec of 1977, and one guy who was a S&W collector told me the first thing that He'd do to that Diamondback, would be to get some decent grips for the gun.
He absolutely hated those grips, yet one of the reasons that I wanted the Diamondback was due to the grips, plus, the vented/weighted barrel, and the beautifully polished blue finish.

I'd keep those rubber grips for range-work, because it makes the gun "not so pretty", thus, potential thieves are less likely to notice the gun.
Where I shoot, the range officer sometimes leaves for a spell, and if You are alone, You always take the risk of losing a gun when You change targets, with Your back turned.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
If you bought the gun, there are a pair of Target Stocks for sale on this forum. I think the asking price is $140.00 dollars. I have no connection to the seller. I was just trying to help out. Peace.

Blade

·
Registered
9,245 Posts
MtnSpur's reference to Ca. above is a great point because we can't get these guns shipped over the Aluminum Curtain into the state. So for non Ca. guys here to say that's still a good price is reassuring. I bought a 4" DB a couple months ago here in Sacramento but it sure didn't look like yours as it was fired less than a hundred rounds then kept hidden in a bathroom for thirty years. It looks like this but at least the price was right. Good luck on a very desireable and hard to locate classic sixgun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Okay, I finally had a chance to go to "Coltsmfg.com" to check the manufacturing info on my Diamondback. After inputing the serial number, the site said no record could be found. I double checked all my numbers and they were correct so then I called Colt. It took the gentleman a couple of attempts to find the info on his computer but he finally did. He said it was shipped in 1979, I didn't think to ask if it was still made in 1978 though. Now I need to start saving my pennies again for a pair of wooden shoes for it. Nine days and counting to take possesion of this remarkable .22 revolver.:)

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Have same gun. Sweet shooter. Not as accurate as the 8 3/8" K22 but the DB always draws looks at the range. My grips were sprayed with black lacquer. Got carried away when making a Telecaster black.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
The tables showing serial number ranges for the various years are just guides. I have a 6" Diamondback that I bought in 1981 that I know was shipped in 1980 because it sat in the store for a while and I kept fondling it. Tables showed it as shipping in 1981. Looks like you did good. Take your time with finding appropriate wood target stocks (grips). You will find a nice set, just relax. I suspect that the gun isn't going anywhere.

The box makes me wonder about the previous owner. There were a few Diamondbacks assembled and shipped in the early 1990's that were made from parts and these were placed in those blue plastic boxes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting, now you're making me ponder what "big_gus" said about the blue case being made in the early ninties, combine that with what "22-rimfire" said about some Diamondbacks being made in the ninties from parts, and the website not being able to find my serial number makes it thought provoking that maybe the case and grips belong? Now I'm also wondering why the website couldn't find the serial number and the person at Colt had to do two searches himself? Just pondering...

·
Registered
640 Posts
Regarding Colt's online mfg date search, My Gold Cup Trophy doesn't show at all, and My Trooper Mark III's posed some difficulty finding dates, as well.
My Diamondback, and My father in-law's Diamondback, popped up immediately with the correct info.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
A few is like "about 100" Diamondbacks, just in case you wondered. A listing in Gun List said that Colt assmebled 70 guns from parts which were shipped in October 1992. Some were special with engraving and color case hardening done (I assume) by the Custom Shop. These were delivered to Cherry's in NC for sale. Cherry's special ordered 8 Diamondbacks. I could have bought one or more of them, but at the time, Diamondbacks were selling for something like $500-$600 at the shows and these engraved DBs were priced at about $3500 each. They were special however and to this day I wish I would have popped with the $ for one of the case hardened ones. Money at the time was not an issue; it was the pricing and I was firm about my sense of value.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts