Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im new to the forum! I grew up watching my grandpa clean all his old colts in the early 80’s and decided its time i buy one to start collecting. I found one on gun broker and thought it would be a start. Colt SAA 1st gen. It arrived today and it definitely wasn't what i was expecting...

update: i have learned a little about this gun with help from the forum members

dropped the pistol off to a local gun smith that is familiar with old colts.
Also contacted the seller and talked with him. Ill be leaving him good feedback n GB.

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
Yup...

The first thing you should've done was to buy (and read) some reference books - collecting SAAs is no joke, and requires a decent working knowledge well before pulling out a wallet.

This one's been buffed to within an inch of its life, then dropped into a hot blue tank.

It'd be worth trying to get your money back, but that's doubtful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup...

The first thing you should've done was to buy (and read) some reference books - collecting SAAs is no joke, and requires a decent working knowledge well before pulling out a wallet.

This one's been buffed to within an inch of its life, then dropped into a hot blue tank.

Yeah i will say it was and expensive lesson... i dont know if i should go through GB or just ask the guy if he will do a return but i doubt he will.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Yup...

hello dogface; a colt for rita coolege!
regards, bro

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Depending on what you paid (and I'm not asking, that is between you and your conscience) it still may be something to play with if it's solid and tight.
Sometimes a mistake is an invaluable lesson in the long run.
good luck,
Yeah a invaluable lesson indeed! I will be doing alot of reading on this forum.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Im new to the forum! I grew up watching my grandpa clean all his old colts in the early 80’s and decided its time i buy one to start collecting. I found one on gun broker and thought it would be a start. Colt SAA 1st gen. It arrived today and it definitely wasn't what i was expecting... i think i got fooled on this one.

I feel for you completely since no one wants to be cheated out of their money or end up holding something completely unexpected. People are out there who just want to steal from others everyday. I hope you find peace after this debacle. My advice, which isn't worth much would be to find a reputable forum member who is looking to move a SAA. There are some fine members who help others in their searches.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Tip: to new people starting to collect expensive antiques of any kind - do not buy online. Spend some time in gun shops and shows and with other collectors, handling what you are learning about. Buy your first 1, 2, or 10 live, face to face. Learn about good sellers, clueless sellers, and scam sellers, by facing them and talking to them. You will not get robbed if you look closely face to face. Don't buy something based on an internet picture and description from a stranger, that may disappear after the sale, and is in a far away place. I'll barely buy a $25 laptop battery that way....why try to "learn" about collecting Colts, early american art, or vintage jewelry that way?

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Tip: to new people starting to collect expensive antiques of any kind - do not buy online. Spend some time in gun shops and shows and with other collectors, handling what you are learning about. Buy your first 1, 2, or 10 live, face to face. Learn about good sellers, clueless sellers, and scam sellers, by facing them and talking to them. You will not get robbed if you look closely face to face. Don't buy something based on an internet picture and description from a stranger, that may disappear after the sale, and is in a far away place. I'll barely buy a $25 laptop battery that way....why try to "learn" about collecting Colts, early american art, or vintage jewelry that way?
Great advise here. Agreed 100% ^^^^^^^

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
I too just looked at the GB auction link. Seems described properly except listed as a 4” barrel instead of being a 4 3/4”. In all fairness if the tiiming, lockup, and mechanics are all proper it should make you a good shooter for a .45 cal. SAA. Just my 2 cents worth for what it’s worth. 😎

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
I feel for you completely since no one wants to be cheated out of their money or end up holding something completely unexpected. People are out there who just want to steal from others everyday. I hope you find peace after this debacle. My advice, which isn't worth much would be to find a reputable forum member who is looking to move a SAA. There are some fine members who help others in their searches.
Agreed. Very good advise. ^^^^

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
It has happened to most of us at one time or another. Nobody it born an expert on anything, it takes time and effort. I doubt the seller (or GB) will return your money. Maybe it is a good shooter, change out the grips and go have fun with it.
Put this experience in the same category as "the stripper said she really liked me" stories.

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
It has happened to most of us at one time or another. Nobody it born an expert on anything, it takes time and effort. I doubt the seller (or GB) will return your money. Maybe it is a good shooter, change out the grips and go have fun with it.
Put this experience in the same category as "the stripper said she really liked me" stories.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
11 Posts
As a 'glass half full' type person, I think it could of been much worse. Reading the listing, I have to agree you did not get scammed; the seller put it out there and if the auction had proceeded, you might have gotten it for less. Also, a pristine example would have cost many times what you paid. If, holding and owning a real SAA was your goal, then you have succeeded. If, remorse does not subside, then sell or trade it up.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts