Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my first 1903. Original finish is mostly gone, and there is a little surface rust, but if I can figure out how to take it down, I'll clean it up good.

I THINK this is a type III. However, I don't know what a magazine safety looks like. Can you confirm?

Also, is there a place where I can reference the serial number and date the mfg of this piece?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
No expert on - well almost anything- /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif but I think you can check your DOB at: www.proofhouse.com

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[ QUOTE ]
No expert on - well almost anything- /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif but I think you can check your DOB at: www.proofhouse.com

Welcome to the forum!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey THANKS Gunsmoke!

That makes this lil' shooter a 1922 vintage..

I've never seen that website before. NOW I'm going to get a bunch of pistolas out this afternoon and start dating them.

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Google up Springfield Research Service also

It will tell you if there's history on your serial number and/or those in it's range. Don

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
To field strip, you must remove the magazine then retract the slide until the inspection mark (line and arrow) are even with the front of the frame. While holding it in this position you must rotate the barrel until the lugs are fully dieengaged. The slide and barrel can then be run off of the reciever. Be watchful of the springs as you remove the slide. Then rotate the barrel in the other direction to disengage it from the slide and withdraw it from the front of the slide. These old guns are often gunked up a bit so you may have to giggle the barrel, put in a couple of drops of penetrating oil and possibly move the slide fore and aft just a bit to find the exact point where the lugs disengage, but be patient and use only finger pressure to rotate the barrel never pliers or any other hard tool. Reassembly is to reverse the procedure. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips. This one must have been cared for and cleaned because it came apart without much problem (once I learned about the twisting barrel takedown design)..

The rust inside the firing pin chamber is the only place where I may have future problems. I'll just have to address that as time goes on. Very surprised that the pin and spring were in as good a shape however...

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Congratulations! These guns make delightful plinkers. Very little recoil usually quite reliable.
Mine looks much like yours and shoots great.
I wouldn't be overly concerned about the firing pin channel. Just clean it with the q-tips occasionally and you should have no problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations! These guns make delightful plinkers. Very little recoil usually quite reliable.
Mine looks much like yours and shoots great.
I wouldn't be overly concerned about the firing pin channel. Just clean it with the q-tips occasionally and you should have no problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!! I'll do that..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts