Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you already know that I have a raffle going on over on the other brands forum for my Remington Rand for charity purposes. Well I got another war horse shooter today to ofset the loss from the stable, this time a Colt :). It is a AA refurb and has wrong slide, wrong barrel, wrong mag, but I am going to use it as a shooter. I am going to run some lighter loads but shoot the snot out of it. I love the original configuration long trigger and flat mainspring housing. It is the configuration most of my Colt Auto's wear.

·
Registered
11,692 Posts
It's a rebuild, so all the parts are correct, just the way it left Augusta Arsenal. If it was in the original blue finish, the parts would be incorrect. When the pistols came in for rebuild they were completely stripped down, defective parts discarded, while the others were refinished for reuse. In all probability the grips are not the ones it left Augusta with, but were added by someone wanting to make it "correct". Going back and mixing parts still doesn't make it correct.

It will make an excellent shooter, and probably shoots just as well if not better than a 99% original Model 1911.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Johnny. I guess I should have said "wrong" for when it left the factory. I have no desire to make it "original" I think it is neat the way that it is. I purchased a set of repro 1911 grips and am going to throw these in a drawer and "age" the new ones a bit to look more correct, but still have some bite to them. I am going to scratch repro into the inside grip panels before doing so. Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it shoots. I gave 950 for it and felt it was fair

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Keep your loads on the 'light' side.

I personally ovalled-out all of the frame's holes with 230 Gr hardball one season, using a 1917 rebuild from RIA.

We had to salvage out the frame and keep all parts for later use.

Those WWI frames are on the soft side.

Incidentally - it shot tighter groups than my brand-new Gold Cup, which I found somewhat dismaying...

It had a Colt commercial slide from the old post-WWII QAP, and a S&W chrome-lined barrel.

I went through the rack and added a flat mainspring housing, and I was in business.

The piece went through WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam, before it got to us, and was as tight as a drum, until it got to me and a 'very' busy match season.

·
Registered
774 Posts
All these Colt's you keep finding, Robert I have a personal question for ya. Will you go to Las Vegas with me. You are the luckiest man alive.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I purchased a set of repro 1911 grips and am going to throw these in a drawer and "age" the new ones a bit to look more correct, but still have some bite to them. I am going to scratch repro into the inside grip panels before doing so.
If you want the pistol to look correct, I'd suggest a set of plastic WWII stocks. I'd not ruin a good set of repro stocks by scratching anything on them. Anyone who knows something should be able to tell the difference anyway. Pistol looks like a nice rebuild. Someone obviously put it back and preserved its condition for a number of years...just like the military did before them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts