Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a possible "mix-master" 1911 that was passed down to me and looking for some information. I will describe the best that I can, but the numbers and markings do not coincide with the info that I have found online, so here goes.

107,XXX serial number dates to 1915, EXCEPT there are no Colt markings on the frame. The markings that I can see are a triangle on the lower left side of the trigger gaurd, which makes it an Ithaca frame? Ithaca serial numbers do not go that low as far as I have seen.

Colt ivory grips with gold medallion

No roll marks that I can find anywhere on the slide, does not look filed or ground down. Nothing under the firing pin stop. Sights are strange compared to all older Colts that I have seen. Front sight is approximately 3/4" slanted rearward and ribbed.

Pistol is blued with very heavy holster wear. Trigger has been replaced? Trigger is aluminum and grooved on the front. Recoil plug has also been replaced? Aluminum also.

Please give me some insight on this gun. My father passed years ago, and I was never able to get info from him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pics for info

I guess pics would make it easier to identify.
Thanks to anyone that can give me info on this gun!

Here they are

Overall:

Front Sight:

Rear Sight:

Upper Left Trigger (there seems to be something there)

Lower Left Trigger

Firing Pin Stop Removed

Slide Removed

Alignment Marking? in front of rear sight

Right Side Trigger Guard (something there too)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Although the serial number is 107xxx, the frame is NOT from 1915. A 1915 frame with that serial number is an M1911 military pistol. Your frame has the finger cutouts which would, at best, make it an M1911A1. But NONE of the markings are consistent with a Colt manufactured frame. The serial number does not look messed with, so it could be an aftermarket frame. There is very little else I can say with certainty about this pistol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. Where can I find more info? Is there anything else that I should post to get anymore info? I am still new to the 1911/1911A1 platform. I have checked coolgunsight.com, I have checked serial numbers, where and what markings should be there. I didn't mention before, but I don't care about value, I just want to know more about possible history. I have also been looking for a 1911/1911A1 to get engraved. Is this the one? Thanks again, Jake

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
The frame has that same appearrance as an investment cast frame, but there is no manufacturer marks. Look under the stocks / grips. Another possibility is a heavily sandblasted Super .38 frame, they did not have the "C" prefix as did the Government Model. I'm guessing.

The slanted slide serrations are a giveaway that the slide might be aftermarket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts