Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this gun on Gunbroker and then noticed is was listed by a local FFL that I know. It was out of his private collection and I got to look it over personally before bidding. After handling it I kind of fell in love with it. The well worn look just drew me in. Obviously I ended up the high bidder. Gun is 32-20 and dates to 1904.

I've always wanted an unmolested 1st gen, and hopefully that is what I have here. Based on my limited knowledge, and info I gathered out of the sticky notes here, I think I did alright. gun has a few dings, but otherwise the finish has just worn to a grey/brown/black finish. In the right light you can see hints of the original case colors in areas. Barrel has frostiness to it with a few very minor rough spots, but overall rifling looks pretty darn good for a gun this old. Action has very crisp/clean four clicks and timing seems right on. Very minor play in cylinder.

Markings and serial numbers seem in the right place, although I have not removed the grip frame to check on assembly number matching the loading gate.

There are no markings on the cylinder at all (no serial #), and there isn't any serial number scribed on the backs of the grips. Not sure if this is correct, or not ?

I'd like to shoot this gun, even if it's just a few cylinders worth. I'll probably send it out to someone that specializes in old SAAs just to go through the gun before I do that. There aren't any gunsmiths around here I would trust to do that.

Any comments/notes about the gun are appreciated. Always looking to learn more.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Don't give a thought to unnumbered grips . I have a couple of completely untouched 1st gen grips with no visible number , and a few with barely visible numbers ..Those numbers were just scratched or penciled in for factory assembly, with no thought given that they would likely be studied by collectors 100 plus years later..That's a fine looking Colt , from what I think is their best period for real quality

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Well, I guess I should add my two. The nickel gun is refinished 1909, the reblued and then patina gun is 1901. Not the most collectable, but both good shooters.

View attachment 667109

Yea I know the dang picture came in upside down again. Wish I could figure out why some of them do that.
Phone pic? If so you can go to edit and pivot pic 360 degrees, hit done and it will post correctly. At least that solved the problem with my phone pics.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Well, I guess I should add my two. The nickel gun is refinished 1909, the reblued and then patina gun is 1901. Not the most collectable, but both good shooters.

View attachment 667109

Yea I know the dang picture came in upside down again. Wish I could figure out why some of them do that.
Why don'tcha just turn the phone upside down?

·
Premium Member
19,152 Posts
MrBumps, see if it has a one or two digit number on the back of the cylinder that matches the last one or two digits of the Serial Number of the gun.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Actually guys the pics were taken with my Kindle. And whichever way I turn it, it always comes up rightside up. I've even tried rotating the pics and then posted the upside down pic. And it posts exactly the same as right side up, in other words, upside down. AHHHH! I need a bourbon.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That's a real nice 1st gen. Colt.
A paw shop near me as the same 32-20 with six inch barrel.
I think it's a cut down, the shop owner think's special order.
I said let me see the colt letter. He won't invest the money to find out
So most likely B.S., but I'll keep trying to trade him something for it!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts