Colt Forum banner

New (to me) 6" blue Python

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  silentbutdeadly 
#1 ·
Hello,

My name is Rick, I am a new member here, but long time gun owner/shooter. I just picked up my first Python yesterday. It's a 6" blued Python, and is in great condition (photo's to follow later). I have been using the search function and doing research, but I still have a few questions....

My serial number is V33007, but on the Colt Database website when I did a search I got, "Sorry, no records found." however on the Serial Number Data website it shows my Python as a 1978 model. Did I get a "no records found" because my Python fell into a serial number transition year? Was every Python serial number change a new generation? Ie. Gen I, II and III?

Are all Python grip frames the same size? Would the same grips fit the following - E&I frame Colt revolvers, Python, Official Police, Trooper, Army Special?

I cleaned my gun as soon as I got it home yesterday, and saw that the grips seemed to be serial numbered. What does that number mean, and is that grip number supposed to match the manufacture date of my gun?

The internal bore shows almost no marks that would indicate the gun had been fired, and the cylinder has very little rotational markings like most revolvers do.

I was thinking of getting a set of new grips for my Python, so as to preserve the original grips (photo's to follow), as they are in perfect condition. I was on eBay and everybody claims to be selling "brand new factory original grips", now I'm new to Colt Pythons, but 30+ year old "brand new factory original grips" aren't going for $80, are they? I was thinking of wood, finger groove type combat grips with or without checkering, I'd prefer checkering, but for the right grips I could live without it. Can anybody make a recommendations for good looking grips that will be functional yet enhance the looks of my weapon?

Later on tonight I will post some photo's of my gun.

Regards,

Rick

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Python! I believe it would be a late 1978 model or early 1979 model. No change in generations, just a change in prefix because they had reached the end of the E suffix and had already used up the E prefix earlier. Your Python would be a "3rd Generation", but this only refers to the style of grips/stocks which came on them. Yes all Python Frames are the same and grips will change from one to another. Nice Original factory grips usually go between $250-$400 except for the Smooth Laminated Python Elite which Colt still sells for about $80 shipped (when in stock). The Elites did not start until 1997 and are the same as a regular Python just with the word Elite on it. There are people on ebay like a guy from TN who goes by blovit (on ebay) aka vikrant (on Gunbroker) aka coltboxman (another alias on other sites) who sells a bunch of FAKE Colt stuff claiming it to be original so please stay away from him. If he is selling it, IT IS FAKE! :D

#5 ·
Very Nice all Original Example you have there! Pythons are very addictive once you get the first one. I prefer the Royal Blued ones also, cant beat blued steel and Walnut Wood imo. You had better stick with the 4 inch as your next one, the 3 inchers are VERY expensive and it is BY FAR the most faked Python out there. Of course now that the 2.5 inch stainless and BSTS ones have gone completely insane, I'm sure there's already people re-barreling them now too. I'm saying just be careful when you venture into the shorter ones. Don't have to worry about the 4, 6, or 8 inch guns UNLESS you get into collecting the NIB/LNIB and that's another place where you have to be VERY CAREFUL with all the fake boxes out there.

Reactions: donoo
#6 ·
Big_Gus,

Thanks for the advice. 4" revolvers are my favorite anyway. I'm more into shooters, so the LNIB/NIB and other highly collectible Pythons while appreciated, are not my thing. The only thing I will do is to put some different stocks on this one, and save the originals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.