Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased this one right before Christmas from Swamp Rat. Its my first 7.5 inch SAA and I must say while I wouldn't want to carry it concealed, I really do think I like the sight line and heft of the pistol. Being 6'4" and 225lbs probably contributes to that.

It has that strange white lettering that people insist on adding to SAAs for some reason. It has been fired, based on the impressions inside the cylinder shield and other place as well as the marks on the lead to the bolt stops. I pulled the hammer and the trigger to inspect them (much less nerve racking on a 3rd gen then a 1st) and they seem to be in good shape.

The only true issue with the gun is the grips. It looks like someone tried to modify the grips and they have been rubbed or cut on. It is also pretty obvious these aren't the original grips...or if they are the fit is really bad. You can see part of the serial number on the back strap on both sides. This isn't a criticism of Hugh as I was aware of the grip fit before buying the gun.

The grips aren't a big deal as I plan on this being a project gun. Will eventually send it off to Adams and Adams for some engraving with our family brands incorporated into it. I have also discussed with Mr. Persinger about sending this out to him to get some Ivories made up for it so the grips are a non issue.

Looking forward to shooting it and it should be a good project.

Will be interesting to compare it to the .44 special of the same vintage and barrel length I have coming my way.

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have one the same vintage. I really like the "satin" bluing on these guns. I have a newer, around 2009 or 10 with what is closer to a "royal" blue finish. Anyway, very nice gun and please send pics when you get it all done.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Most likely your going to like how it shoots and handles recoil. My 2008 version of the same gun shoots perfect to the sights. The 7 1/2 barrel doesn’t seem muzzle heavy with a 45.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Acetone will nicely remove the coloring in the lettering and won't hurt the finish. Sounds like you have the problem with stocks solved. I agree with Rigby in that I like the "satin blue" better than the high gloss blue. You will like the way the long barrel shoots. Enjoy your Colt SAA

·
Registered
270 Posts
Most likely your going to like how it shoots and handles recoil. My 2008 version of the same gun shoots perfect to the sights. The 7 1/2 barrel doesn’t seem muzzle heavy with a 45.
You betcha! Got a great big hole thru that metal tube, that will eliminate some weight....😊
I was just comparing my 4 5/8" 357 Ruger Blackhawk to my 5 1/2" 45 Blackhawk, and commenting on the 357 being noticably heavier. ( It's been boring around here the last six months, and one must make ones own entertainment)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts