Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this week I acquired a .45 Colt Anaconda. I had miked the cylinder throats, and all are around .451 or .452.

The first trip to the range (with me) was this Saturday, and all went very well, with both cast and jacketed bullets. My loads were a little warmer than factory loads, but were not into the "Ruger Only" category.

I was very pleased with the handling and the balance.S/A shooting was great, and the D/A was OK. I will need to practice more on D/A with the gun, as the feel is quite different than my S&W and Ruger D/A revolvers.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the gun, which is my first Colt revolver in eight or so years.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey, Bob . . .

I just got a new to me 4" Anaconda in that same chambering. I've only had it to the range one time so far but I wasn't thrilled with my results. Everything on the revo checks out good but maybe it was just that particular load or something.

That load was a killer out of the M-625 S&W Mountain Gun I gave up for this Colt but that doesn't necessarily mean anything at all as we all know!

I guess I'll just have to start making up some serious test fodder for ye ol Anaconda and see what she's got in the potential department!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For what it's worth, I was using Hornady 250 gr. XTP's with Blue Dot and with Unique. I also tried Leadhead's 270 plain base Keith style with Unique. All three combinations did fine in my revolver.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My load was a 255 grain Keith-style SWC with Gas Checks on top of 6.0 gr of TiteGroup. I think I'm going to go with varying amounts of Unique and Universal and see what those produce . . .

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Although a lot of people swear by them, gas check bullets have always been inconsistant for me. Give me a good ol plain base bullet any day.

·
Registered
44 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Although a lot of people swear by them, gas check bullets have always been inconsistant for me. Give me a good ol plain base bullet any day.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sure may be the case, Majic, but I've always had really good results out of all my Smiths with the darned things.

I guess, too, that it's just a case of my Anaconda just not liking them at all ? ? ? Only experimenting with some plain base bullets as well as the GC's will tell I suppose!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts