Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just picked up a 4" blue python to go with my 4" nickel one,the serial number is v817xx i think 1979 or 80? the stocks have medallions that say colt costom with checkering that is not deep at all like my 1981 python and the checkering wraps around the medallion that looks higher the left stock as thunb rest and the right one dont,the screw for the stocks looks brass .
is there some thing on the gun that would show it a custom shop gun.
the action feels better on my nickel one but this one has a lighter single action pull and some how the action feels faster in double action but not lighter in double action.
i got it at a show with no box or papers.
thanks for any help

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
one more thing inside the stocks it says india H and cp at the top,and the v spring as allmost no bend in it at the back.thanks guys.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
v817xx was made in 1979.
The numbers picked up that year at V36737, and went to V88343 by year's end.

Sounds like your Python has an older style of grips.
These are commonly known as "second type" grips and were used in the 1960's into the early 1970's.

Without the box, I don't know any way to determine if this was a Custom Shop gun, except to call Colt and ask.

Colt will give out production dates over the phone, but usually will only release other info if you buy a Historical Letter for about $100.00.

Here's a picture of the "Second Type" grip, which I suspect someone put on your later Python, since by 1979, this type of grip was no longer being made.
It's not uncommon for people to switch Python grips for earlier types.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply.
the stocks looks like that but as thin dark grain on all parts front sides and bottom and the funny medallions that say custom colt.colt at the top and custom at the bottom with a sheld in the middle with for horses three in the sheld and a bigger one on top of the sheld.and under the sheld it says in very small letters [ vincit qui patitur }looks like french words, the horses are not rearing up they look like they are running full out.

are they after market medallions that some one put on ?maybe buy a french man from up north they look glued on, there is no metal on the back side of the small hole

thanks dfariswheel.

[This message has been edited by bad shot (edited 02-27-2005).]

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
I'm going to say those are in fact, Colt Custom Shop grips.

The medallion is the logo for the Colt Custom Gun Shop.

These are a fairly rare, "transition" grip between the Second type pictured above and the Third type shown below.

As you'll notice, the Third type have a straight border on the top of the checkering pattern.

Your transition grips are sort of a combination of the two.

However, your grips are even more unusual in that they don't have the "thumb rest" on BOTH sides like the usual transition grips do.

Taking this new information into account, there is a good possibility you have a Custom Shop pistol.

Here is an example of an early Third type Colt target grip.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
My best guess is, these are "replica" grips.
The marking inside that says "India" would indicate these were made in India for some supplier other than Colt.

The field of Colt Custom Shop grips would require a book just on this subject, and I NEVER say that I've seen everything.

One of the nicest Colt-sold grips were made in Italy of a fine-figured rosewood, so it's at least possible Colt bought grips made in India.

Again, my best guess is these are not genuine Colt supplied, BUT it's at least possible they are.

A picture of the grips and a closeup of the medallion would help.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys
there is two marks on the grip part of the frame that look like a c they are not deep strikes.
i think i will call colt and be very nice and see what i can get out of them on this gun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts